green algae during cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

haus

Aquarium Advice Freak
My cycle has been going for about 3 weeks now. Yesterday I noticed green algae beginning to grow on the sand and the rocks. Is the green algae normal, because I thought there was supposed to be brown diatoms first, which I haven't noticed? I have 85 lbs of reef bone, and 80 lbs of play sand ( I did the vinegar test with good results). The shrimp has decayed almost completely. The ammonia is around .6 mg/L, I tested about 4 days ago, and used the last of my test kit, so I need to get another test. The nitrate is 10 mg/L and the nitrite is .3 mg/L (both tested last night). Should I add anything into the tank to help with the cycle, or does the shrimp provide the neccessary bacteria? Or should I get a piece of LR to add, because the bacteria is already established on it?

Your cycle is going fine.. What type of water are you using? Adding established LR can help speed things along some.. How about a pic...

It is drinking water from walmart. On the label it says that it is processed by reverse osmosis. As far as a picture, I don't have any just yet, but they will come. I was thinking about getting a piece of LR to give the tank a jump, but if things are going as they should, then I will let nature take its course.

not sure about the water.. some drinking water is worse then tap water.. I would test the water for nitrates and phosphates.

Back
Top Bottom