Green Algae Help Needed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nugget6476

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey Everyone,

Quick Tank Overview

92cm long, 36cm wide, 43cm tall (120litres/30Gallon)

Numerous Live Plants
2 Bolivian Rams
9 Rummynose Tetra
5 Cardinal Tetra
8 Neon Tetra
4 Peppered Corydoras
2 Honey Gourami
and added today 2 Algae Eaters ( Looks like Gold Sucking Catfish - Gyrinocheilus aymonieri) to try help clear the Algae.

This is my current water testings:
Ammonia - 0ppm
Nitrite - 0mg/l
Nitrate - 0mg/l
PH - 6.8
Temp on Heater 25/26 degrees celcius
Temp on Thermometer 22/23 degrees celcius

I have the light on for around 12 hours a day
And I feed the fish once a day, with 2 or 3 small pinches of flake food, and 2 or 3 small pinches of pellet food that sinks
The Algae is hairy, green and sticking to the plants, log, and glass and up to 4cm long
The water is clear and fish still look happy.

My tank is about 3 months old now, I did the fishless cycle, and highly reccomend that, but now I am starting to get green Algae in the Tank. I am not sure why this is happening If anyone can help with suggestions to fix this that would be great.

Thanks

Do you have live plants in the tank?

What kind of light is it?

Do you have a PO4 test kit?

Is the tank near a window/does it get any natural sunlight?

Also I would reduce your feeding a bit. Prepared fish foods contain high amounts of phosphates, which can go a long way towards feeding an algae issue. The fish should eat all of the food you put in the tank within a few minutes. If there is any left after a few minutes, it is too much. It also does not hurt and can actually be beneficial to skip some days of feeding. I feed my FW tank usually twice a week - I have different fish than you so I am not recommending that for your tank - but just illustrating that you do not need to feed daily.

My light is a Aqua One, T8, Sunlight, 30watt

Around 10 live plants

And it does not recieve any direct sunlight

Yes. Is it on a timer? That is the best way to go. I would go with 8 hours a day normally buy maybe 6 a day for awhile while you work this algae out.

Back
Top Bottom