green algea on rocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sansouci01

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm starting to notice a light film of what looks like green algea forming on some of my large rocks. My nitrite and nitrate levels are good. ( nitrite 0ppm and nitrate 10ppm. Any suggestions? Would having my light on 8 or so hours a day have any thing to do with it.

I have the same in my tank. My light is on about eight hours too. I guess it depends if you like to see this or not. I might take rocks out and scrub them if I get annoyed with it.

sansouci01 said:
I'm starting to notice a light film of what looks like green algea forming on some of my large rocks. My nitrite and nitrate levels are good. ( nitrite 0ppm and nitrate 10ppm. Any suggestions? Would having my light on 8 or so hours a day have any thing to do with it.

Hey, Orlando! I'm right down the street from you in Titusville.

All tanks have some algae, it just becomes a problem when it takes over or it becomes unsightly to you. What type of lighting do you have?

Check your lighting and reduce it if you can...or use the best algae cleaner out there: a toothbrush and brush it off.

Hello blert.
The light says 40w GE aqua rays. I did take the rocks out and wash them before they got too bad. I was thinking of getting a bottom feeder like a pleco but, I have a crayfish and I don't think they would get along. How's the weather over there? Getting ready for a big storm here. I live near Seaworld

Yep...that's what I did. My rocks are easy to take out so a little scrubbing with a toothbrush did the trick

I think it's just natural build up then...a scrubbing every other month should be okay. Worse comes to worse you can either:

Plant some pothos with its roots hanging into the water.
Raise the lights up higher
Put window mesh on the light

imo most "algae eaters" aren't going to give you much cleaning power.

Thanks for the info. I live on a small pond. It has small water lilies ( lilies are only 2" round ) growing near the shore. Would those grow in my tank and would they be safe to grow if they did

They should be fine. Just give em a good rinse and cleaning before you put it in. Root tabs will probably be necessary.

sansouci01 said:
Hello blert.
The light says 40w GE aqua rays. I did take the rocks out and wash them before they got too bad. I was thinking of getting a bottom feeder like a pleco but, I have a crayfish and I don't think they would get along. How's the weather over there? Getting ready for a big storm here. I live near Seaworld

+1 to Crepe's suggestions.

Got the ten minute storm at 4:30, typical this time of year. Clearing up now.

Back
Top Bottom