Green and Brown Algae! Ahh!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FrankAbagnale

Aquarium Advice Freak
This last week, I've had some major algae problems. The glass has had green looking algae, and some of my plants have brown spots of algae all over the leaves. Does anybody have advice on what to do? I changed the timer on my lights to only 7 hours per day(about three days ago).

I have a 40 gallon breeder, Marineland c220 filter, 2 t5 HO lights, Eco-complete substrate, probably 11 different kinds of plants. 5 tiger barbs, 10 zebra danios, 1 dwarf gourami, and 5 pepper cats.

0 am
0trite
10-20 trates

Dosing excel daily
Dosing comprehensive twice a week

Not sure what else I should add here that could help identify problems/solutions, but I really appreciate all advice!

How old is the tank? Also do you have pic's as there are many types of "green algae". Do you know your phosphate readings? Depending on the type of algae you have you might have to address certain issues related to individual types of algae. Some algae can also be spot treated with Excel. A shorten photoperiod is necessary.

Some pics of the algae in question would probably be nice. Not all algae plays the same game, so without knowing the variety, it's hard to give tailored advice.

Thanks for all the replies so far. I will post some pics in the morning. Bad thing is, I cleaned most the green looking algae off the glass already. But I'll still post some pics. I don't have a phosphate test but will also get one in the morning. The tank is about a month old- so not too old.

I added the 2nd T5 HO last week and shortly after the algae started. I assumed that was the culprit, but I just want to be sure!

Okay just wanted to be sure you didn't have 4 bulbs.. lol! Since your tank is new I'm guessing without pics that the brown algae is diatoms. Diatoms are pretty standard in all new tanks and will eventually go away on their own as the silicates in the water are used up. If they really start driving you nuts, since they are unsightly, you could get a few nerite snails. Nerites can't reproduce in freshwater and love diatoms.

I thought about Nerites but I have five Tiger Barbs and I wasn't sure if that would be a problem.

Just FYI, I'm also from Missouri!

I thought about Nerites but I have five Tiger Barbs and I wasn't sure if that would be a problem.

Just FYI, I'm also from Missouri!

They should be fine with the tigers as they don't come way out of their shells with long antenna. Your up from me, I'm in St. Louis.

Phosphate looked to be around 0.5

Pictures aren't great...and are turned sideways for some reason!

Brown Spots on Plant
IMG_0292.jpg

Greenish Algae on Glass
IMG_0293.jpg

Brown Spots on Plant
IMG_0294.jpg

Brown algae looks to be diatoms which will eventually run their course or you can use nerites to help clean them up.

It's hard to see the algae on the glass but is it just flat algae, not fuzzy at all?

Yeah I figured so on the diatoms. I picked up 3 nerites this morning.

The green algae is flat. Doesn't really look fuzzy.

I believe it is green dust algae which also tends to be a new tank issue for some. The best way I know how to deal with it is to let it grow at least a couple weeks (ugh I know) and then scrape it off with an algae scraper (not magnet) and suck out as much as you can. This usually is enough to take care of the problem. If you continually use a algae magnet you just keep putting it back in the water and it's back on the glass the next day. One nice thing tho is nerites love green dust algae too!

Back
Top Bottom