Green Button Polyps got Brown Jelly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flreefer

Aquarium Advice Addict
Have a colony of Green Button Polyps that have Brown Jelly disease. This is only effecting about 12-15 polyps right in the center of the colony. The rest of the colony seems fine, open, feeding, and spreading. I've had this colony for a long time,(6 years at least). I've pulled out the worst of them and basted them to clean them off.
Why would this happen, and not affect the whole colony?
Ammo-0, nitrite-0, nitrate-5, Ca-440, Alk-bit low@2.7 Meq/l, phos-0, Ph- 8.2, temp-78.
I do 7.5% PWC weekly with various reef salts, run skimmer, with refugium, under 780w of T5, tank is a180g.
What can I do to combat it. Should I just remove the effected polyps? Been like this for about 5 days.

Hey. Try coral dip and scrubbing off the affected area then dipping in clean water before returning it back to the DT. I've saved a few corals this way.
as far as why- time proves to be more and more of chemical war fare. Other corals are probably fighting for space and releasing their toxins into the water to create more space for themselves.

Thanks for the reply. Well I can't really take out the piece of rock without a major hassle. I plucked off the really bad heads and blew the rest off with a baster. There's no more jelly coming off of them, there just white and closed up. This happened about 1 1/2 years ago right before I transferred to this tank.
I did have a Digitata fall on them recently, could that have done it? Didn't think Digi had that much punch.

It may not to other corals- but maybe it did to them. Guess it depends how long they were touching. So much is really unknown about which coral would beat the other when it comes to aggressiveness. Wouldn't it be easier if someone made a chart??? Lol

That's a great idea! The Digi could have been there for 12 hours or so, I was at work, came home and found it on top of the Buttons.
The more I think of it, this makes the most sense.
Thanks for the help!

Back
Top Bottom