Green clover-looking algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TKEON230

Aquarium Advice Regular
I was wondering what this stuff is that I found in my tank. It looks almost like green clovers, but under the water. It is growing at the top of my tank out of the live rock that sits closest to the light fixtures. Is this stuff good or bad?

img_623300_0_9decece027fe2d0bac20f558de4ac07c.jpg

It's a type of caulerpa, can't remember the exact version, I want to say maidens cup...but that is probably wrong. IMO, caulerpa doesn't belong in the tank, it grows too quickly and will shortly overtake the tank and beside the shading issues...the runners can and will pierce the corals flesh. I don't particularly like it in a refugium either simply cause they have a habit of going sexual and crashing, but some are worse/better than others.

Pull it out and keep pulling it out, try and stay ahead of it. I'm not sure of what fish might eat that particular species of caulerpa.

I agree with Kevin, caulerpa is great for refugium but is a risky macro to have in your main tank. I believe what you have is Caulerpa racemosa var. peltata. I've had this in my tank and blue and red legged hermits helped clean it up. Not sure what type of cleanup crew you have but maybe with manual removal of most of it, a few hermits may be able to keep it under control for you. Good luck.

I had this stuff in my tank and it would double in size weekly. Finally I got it to go away...Then it went sexual and ruined my water quality. That's when it finally died.

Actually, if you want to get rid of it, I would gladly pay shipping on it. PM me and let me know if you would consider doing this... :)

Back
Top Bottom