Green Coraline Algae?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Brodie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I seem to have it growing in patches on my tank. It appears to be a Coraline Algae, I've just never seen this type before. Is it an indication of anything? Why wouldn't it be purple like the rest of my Coraline?

Thanks,
-Brodie

Coraline algae will appear in different colors based upon light intensity. You can have coraline in all color forms from purple to red to green, etc.

What does say a green coraline spot look like compared to a green algea spot? Like how could you tell the difference? Sorry for the noob question :oops:

I know my green coraline is a mint color and is pretty tough to scrape off. Most of mine are the size of eraser tips on the end of a pencil.

HTH

Steve

I have some of that on my glass and I guess on my rock. It doesnt just wipe off, I had to take a razor blade or scrape it with my finger nail. Is that just green coraline? You can wipe some of the green off but there is some that is like described above.

I have another question on coraline algae. Why does it mostly cover my lace rocks, and not my tufa? The two different rocks are spread around and mixed up, but the coraline algae seems to grow really well on the Lace. I did buy some Live Rock to help seed the base rock.

Lindsikins00 said:
I have another question on coraline algae. Why does it mostly cover my lace rocks, and not my tufa? The two different rocks are spread around and mixed up, but the coraline algae seems to grow really well on the Lace. I did buy some Live Rock to help seed the base rock.

Lace rock is volcanic in origin - mostly silica based.

Tufa is weathered limestone - calcium carbonate based. The pits in the tufa can trap detritus and lead to hair algae growth. The coralline will have a hard time getting established on this.

I would suspect the chemical differences as well as surface texture differences. The lace rock should have a more " glassy " texture than the tufa. The lace rock probably does not trap as much debris as the tufa. The result is a cleaner glassy surface very much like the aquarium's glass walls.

JG

Back
Top Bottom