Green Hair Algae good for Nitrate control?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Should I try to get rid of the green hair algae on my live rocks or should I just keep them there? Since they are green plants, are they good in absorbing nitrates?

If I need to take them out, would tangs eat them? Should I get snails or soemthing to get rid of them?

it is a nuisance algae and can become ugly fast. Tangs do not really like the hair algae although Kole Tangs have been known to eat it. If you are talking about putting a tang in the tank you have listed in your profile, that would be ill advised as you are already more than overstocked. Some crabs eat hair algae, but the puffers and triggers you have listed will eat the crabs.

One of the problems you are facing is the fact your tank is overstocked and the filtration is not very good for this type of bioload.

You think I can get away with this stock for now since they're all juvies? They are around 3/4" (damsels) to 2" each (triggers) except for the porcupine (3 1/2"). Later on I will afford the bigger tanks with sump/refugium setup. For now, I'll do with two HOBs, a skimmer, and 75 lbs of live rock. Wouldn't that be enough for a fish only setup with juvies?

If I was to get a tang, I was planning on getting rid of the damsels. But I was also thinking of probably getting snails. What do you think of snails instead of another fish addition?

snails will be snack food for the puffers and triggers for sure. Size or no, you still are stuffed in that tank. You have alot of fish that are KNOWN to be heavy on the bioload.

I know this is a hard thing for people to accept, one of the topics and answers that are most often repeated, but it is true and overstocking is probably the number one problem in this hobby (IMO)

This over stocking is no doubt the reason for your hair algae. I would suggest doing extra water changes with RO water to battle the hair algae as opposed to adding another fish you really have no room for. And, like Hara said, any snails, shrimp, crabs you add to the tank, won't be there long enough to make a difference. Your fish will enjoy them though.

Makes sense. Thank you for the insight. I am planning on getting rid of the damsels, the white spotted puffer, and the choc chip, and the hermit crab. Those two inverts are getting stressed, I noticed.

This will probably force the Admin to move this post. I will post it in the trading post as well:

Anyone wants to buy all three for $30. Pick up only, in the area?

Not sure what your "all three" is since you say your getting rid of 3damsels, a puffer, a star and hermit crab. I would go ahead and start a thread in the classifieds for them. Also, if you join the W MD/WV regional forum, you can post them there.

Thanks.

Actually the $30 is everything, not just the three. 3 damsels, the white spotted puffer, the choc chip, and the hermit crab. I just want to get rid of them. If no buyers, I'll just donate them back to the local fish store.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom