Green Slime

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Georgefr

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have about 50-60 lbs of rock in salt water cooking getting ready to go into my DT. All it is, is rock and RODI saltwater with a power head. It's been cooking for about 2 weeks now, it was originally live rock I got from a friend but it was covered in bubble algae so I power washed it and decided to start over. My question is why have the got this green slime all over it and what is it?

Attachments

• image-1984709272.jpg
    image-1984709272.jpg
    169 KB · Views: 86
  • image-3621607546.jpg
    image-3621607546.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 89
Well, it's algae. It is sometimes hard to get it off of rock sometimes. Have you scrubbed at it at all during the power wash? It might be a good idea to do to try to get the rest of the algae out of there. It is probably feeding off of die off from what is dying after the power wash and any light that might be hitting it. Other than that, sounds like you are doing everything by the book to me!

I appreciate the heads up I did scrub it during the power wash and again before I put it in the tub to "cook" it, funny thing is the green started showing up on the underside of the rock where the lights were not hitting it??? That's what got me confused, but the smell was pretty bad so I too was thinking die off. I think I just needed it confirmed. At this point what would you recommend I do, scrub it again and continue cooking?, continue cooking without scrubbing?. I was hoping to put it in the DT this weekend.

Well, I would hope that it has cured in 2 weeks time. But can't confirm that since I wasn't there testing the levels of the water. I would scrub and rinse it off. Depending on what the levels were would determine if curing should continue or not.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom