Green star polyp

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Penguin

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello again, I recently purchased a green star polyp at my local LFS and it's a decent size but the thing is I bought it on wednesday of this week and it still hasn't opened up. The last time I saw it was open was when it was in the tank at the store. The employee threw the green star polyp into the container they use to catch fish after netting the coral. I'm starting to worry that him doing that could have damaged the polyp and it is refusing to open up. The coral is located at the top peak of my largest live rock where it can get the most light and can get a strong current from my power heads. Is it possible that there's too much light and too much current for it? I just hope it opens up soon because I had paid $42 for it and it's the size of a piece of bread which is hard to find around me for that price. Thank you for your help in advanced.

I'm not coral expert, but I always started my corals at the bottom of the tank. It's a new lighting fixture and they have to adjust. I would move it to the bottom and slowly over the next few weeks work your way up the tank back to the spot you want it.

Caleb

How did you acclimate it to your tank? If it doesn't like the flow in the spot it won't open up. I wouldn't worry about it being 'damaged' as gsp is a weed in this hobby and hard to kill off. It'll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

when I got my green star it took about 10 days to open
another reason it may not be opening could be high phosphates are present in the tank
I dipped mine and blew off all the crud on the coral

What are you water parameters? (Need Phosphates and Nitrates especially) SG Level?
What type of light was it under at the store?
What type of light do you have it under?

I have some in my SPS low nutrient system and is fine and has plenty of flow on it grows like a weed.

I have mine on its own island so it can't spread and take over !! if you don't want it to take over keep it on its own island

And you paid a lot for GSP

img_3314870_0_3db985ec65e464beee796a3ba6ff0264.png

GSP for $42? Lol I've thrown money in the trash

Me too! I can't give the stuff away! Luckily it is blocked by corals that sting it now.

Ime gsp takes a couple days to acclimate to new systems before opening up. But once it does, man is it a weed

I had a frag that I bought last year, it opened somewhat then closed up for months... Then started reopening... Like has been said give it time they are pretty hardy.

Recently I tried my first attempt to frag a coral which I chose as my GSP. I had a pocket knife and the lid of a trash can and hacked off pieces as best I could. Knowing that GSP is pretty hardy I felt confident that even if I didn't do well that it would survive. I ended up making 2 frags off the mother colony and I'm not ashamed to admit that one of them is less then the size of my pinky nail. They both have survived and grown out very well. At first the small frag wouldn't stay in the rocks and I constantly found the frag plug buried in the sand with the GSP smothered. This happened repeatedly until I got fed up and during a water change I glued it to the back of my tank glass. The point I guess is exactly what everyone said it's very hard to kill. When I first got my GSP shipped it didn't open for about a week.

As long as you take into consideration what everyone else said about light acclimating and water perimeters it's hard to lose.

Back
Top Bottom