Green star polyps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jake337

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a couple of questions on this soft coral. I bought this Frag about a month ago. I've heard people say this coral grows like a weed, but haven't seen any tremendous or slight growth yet. When they do grow, do single stars grow longer or growth as in there will just be more? Also, my Gsp aren't really as green as I wish they were. They're mostly brown with touches of green. Is that normal? They do look very green under the moonlight LEDs though. Here is a picture of them. The iPod quality is verrrryy bad.

image-2111917652.jpg

The pink slime stuff starts to spread, lol i dont know how to describe it... And i think they are brown because your light is not very good...

Nu-Nu the eel said:
The pink slime stuff starts to spread, lol i dont know how to describe it... And i think they are brown because your light is not very good...

Yes the base will grow allowing more " stars" :) but i agree on lighting theyll color up if you put stronger lighting or move closer to light maybe

Average GSP growth is approximately 10-15% every two to three months, depending on conditions... meaning if you have just a little piece, 10% isn't much. Once you have a significant amount, 10% growth becomes a LOT. It's pretty coral, but you need to be careful where you put this stuff... it will over-run your tank if given the chance, including some other corals. There are many a reefer who regret ever putting it in their tank.
IMO, the best thing to do is put it on it's own rock isolated on the sand bed.... that way it's easily removable for trimming without getting it everywhere. You can see where I put mine on the bottom-right. I've had that chunk less than a month, and it's already spreading to the rock I placed it on.... What I'll probably do is use that chunk to seed my rock, and then take it to another lfs or a local frag swap to trade for something else.

Attachments

• photo9.JPG
    photo9.JPG
    114.4 KB · Views: 124
  • photo11.JPG
    photo11.JPG
    102.3 KB · Views: 126
I bought a 1 inch frag a month ago its all over my rock already
I feed coral frenzy 2x a week 8+ hrs light and wow

54seaweed said:
I bought a 1 inch frag a month ago its all over my rock already
I feed coral frenzy 2x a week 8+ hrs light and wow

Yes careful on placement they are aggressive

Phranque said:
Average GSP growth is approximately 10-15% every two to three months, depending on conditions... meaning if you have just a little piece, 10% isn't much. Once you have a significant amount, 10% growth becomes a LOT. It's pretty coral, but you need to be careful where you put this stuff... it will over-run your tank if given the chance, including some other corals. There are many a reefer who regret ever putting it in their tank.
IMO, the best thing to do is put it on it's own rock isolated on the sand bed.... that way it's easily removable for trimming without getting it everywhere. You can see where I put mine on the bottom-right. I've had that chunk less than a month, and it's already spreading to the rock I placed it on.... What I'll probably do is use that chunk to seed my rock, and then take it to another lfs or a local frag swap to trade for something else.

Thanks for the advice! Yeah your Gsp are REALLY green. Mine are completely brown. Might just be my light?

Ya gsp will really color up nicely given enough light. The green contrasts the purple wonderfully. I bought a 3" frag that I placed on my sandbed next to my rock and here it is six months later (sold three frags of it already so no more left on the sand bed anymore)

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20120819_080146.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120819_080146.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 97
  • ForumRunner_20120819_080338.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120819_080338.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 111
  • ForumRunner_20120819_080410.jpg
    ForumRunner_20120819_080410.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 89
Back
Top Bottom