Green Star Polyps

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MikeGio

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi everyone

I picked up some green star polyps and attached them to my live rock w/ rubber bands and places them on my sand bed. Currently they are all closed up and have been since yesterday when I attached them. How long do u think it should take for them to open?, and does that look right?, they will attach in a few weeks and I can remove the rubber bands?

Any help would be appreciated...

Attachments

• image-3249819283.jpg
    image-3249819283.jpg
    173.9 KB · Views: 139
  • image-3929173020.jpg
    image-3929173020.jpg
    199.8 KB · Views: 145
They can sometimes take a few days to open but you should move that rock atleast one to two inches from any other rocks to control the gsp because it can really spread like wild fire. What kind of lighting and flow do you have right now?

I have 9 (6 white, 3 blue) 3 w dimmable LEDs & 2 t5 bulbs (1 white & 1 blue)

I have 1 powerhead koralia 900 & the standard edge filter.

Does it sound good?

What size is the tank?

6 gallon, small... Upgrading to about 30 gallon soon... I went in blind to the hobby last may and got robbed by my LFS for a fluval edge. Difficult fish tank to maintain.

I'm a crazy glue gel junkie myself :D

It may take them awhile to open since rubber band may be irritating it
also keep a eye on rubber band sw will disintegrate them real fast

I'm a crazy glue gel junkie myself :D

It may take them awhile to open since rubber band may be irritating it
also keep a eye on rubber band sw will disintegrate them real fast

Hopefully they disintegrate after the coral attaches. My hands aren't steady enough and I find more glue gel on my hands then the spot I want to attach the coral to. I figured for polyps some may stay closed but the ones away from the rubberband would open.

Hopefully they disintegrate after the coral attaches. My hands aren't steady enough and I find more glue gel on my hands then the spot I want to attach the coral to. I figured for polyps some may stay closed but the ones away from the rubberband would open.

reason I said that is you don't want little pieces getting eaten by your fish (y)

Are these polyps closed the right color?, they were in great shape in the LFS but now aren't open. I know it will take a few days but are the polyps supposed to be purple?, the bottom is purple and or white fuzz.

I took off the bands and put on glue gel... Hopefully it works I'll take a pic.

I just added gsp's to my tank as well and at first I was like what is this purple rubbery looking flat piece? but it opened up nice and I hope it spreads because my portion is very small. I can remove it I have it laying on a rock towards the top right now. I'm thinking of moving it to a larger rock and I want it to take over that whole rock so it flows nice. But takes about 4 days until mine opened 80% of the way the ends (maybe because I grab it there with my tongs) still havent opened all the way.

I just added gsp's to my tank as well and at first I was like what is this purple rubbery looking flat piece? but it opened up nice and I hope it spreads because my portion is very small. I can remove it I have it laying on a rock towards the top right now. I'm thinking of moving it to a larger rock and I want it to take over that whole rock so it flows nice. But takes about 4 days until mine opened 80% of the way the ends (maybe because I grab it there with my tongs) still havent opened all the way.

I've been moving mine around a bit much and just took them out of water to replace the rubber bands with glue. Is this what yours looked like when closed?

Attachments

• image-257648230.jpg
    image-257648230.jpg
    194.6 KB · Views: 114
  • image-1270706659.jpg
    image-1270706659.jpg
    178.2 KB · Views: 108
Yes but mine weren't attached to any rocks. I layed them on mine. Here pics of mine when I first put them in.

image-2572694704.jpg

image-3671528396.jpg

I don't have a close up of them open yet, but ill post one when I get home later

Yes but mine weren't attached to any rocks. I layed them on mine. Here pics of mine when I first put them in.

I don't have a close up of them open yet, but ill post one when I get home later

Yours are larger then mine. Mine came in 3 broken pieces the LFS had a hard time getting them off the rock. I rubber banded them to the rock but just switched it for glue as I heard that irritates them. Thanks would love to see more pics and get a feel for what they look like opened.

Look pretty cool opened! I bought mine from reefs2go.com they came in broken up peices as well - it looks like they got into a fight with a scissor. Ill post some up later maybe around 11-1130ish

It looks alot larger i guess in the picture but that bigger peice I have laid ontop of the rock in the bottom picture maybe covers half my palm.

it looked like the first pict when I put it in

and the second a month later

this is a 12 inch rug

Attachments

• some new picts 005.jpg
    some new picts 005.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 118
  • newest coral 027.jpg
    newest coral 027.jpg
    251.2 KB · Views: 126
It looks alot larger i guess in the picture but that bigger peice I have laid ontop of the rock in the bottom picture maybe covers half my palm.

My 3 pieces aren't even that big combined.

Back
Top Bottom