Green Terror information request.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Haaken

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am curious on a lot of information about Green Terrors. I have searched the internet for the answers to my questions but I haven't come up with what I'm looking for.
So, I ask you, if I keep a single Green Terror in my 55 gallon tank with a (currently) 5 inch synodontis catfish, will this be a close to optimal area for the fish?
Will it get lonely/lethargic?
Will it be too active for a 48" tank length?
Would it be better kept with another, similarly aggressive and sized, fish such as a Jack Dempsey?
What types of plants are in it's natural habitat?
What type of soil?
What type of wood? or what types of trees are usually found in its native area?
If I feed it live fish, what type of fish would be found in its habitat?

It would be much appreciated if any of this questions can be answered. Also any other information you think would be good for me to know about Green Terrors would be great. Thank you for responses! (y)

EDIT: Also, it would be nice if anyone could tell me where I could find this information.

Green terror Cichlids

55 is the minimum size. I would do a 90 if you plan to keep the Syno. I wouldn't do plants, Terrors tend to dig. As far as lonely they aren't like Oscars. They do fine alone. But if you get one I would think about moving that Syno. Terrors can be pretty aggressive beyond territorial. That small of a footprint on a tank doesn't give this fish a lot of territory to claim. They can be just plain mean. This can vary though. I have had some Terrors that aren't on the psycho end of the spectrum.

Be sure you have good filtration as they can be messy. All the ones that I have had have done well with most large SA/CA cichlids with the exception of the Jaguar, they may fight to the death.

Good luck and hope this helps.

Ive heard a JD and a green terror aren't supposed to be together. Especially in a 55 because theres just not enough territory to claim for both

I would only do one large cichlid like a GT in a 55G. The GT and JD both grow to about 12 inches and there would likely be aggressive problems down the road.

There really is no need to do live food with a GT. I would just recommend high quality cichlid pellets.

Awesome! Thanks for the responses! Would a Jack Dempsey fare better with my syno? And instead of plants should I use only rocks, only wood, or a mixture of both?

It may depends on the personality of the JD. Same as the GT, it can vary. They may get more aggressive as they get older as well. You can do wood or rocks or both. Just make sure there are no sharp edges. If they startle you don't want them hurting them selves. Both fish are very hardy too.

Back
Top Bottom