Green terror laid eggs without a male

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jabez1ch49

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My green terror just laid eggs and there is no male. The only other fish in the aquarium is a bottom feeder. Can I buy just any male to fertilize the eggs or does it have to be a green terror? Or can I just buy one randomly like that? I have no clue. Also, I have noticed her eating them when the kids start going up to the tank. Will she eat the eggs no matter what I do? Any input and advice would be appreciated. Thanks

bettaowner said:
Cichlids have been known to lay fertile eggs without a male.

Usually only after the first fertile set though, as far as I've heard before in fish. Did you get the fish when it was young?

And I doubt infertile eggs can sit for too long and still be fertilized later.

bettaowner said:
Cichlids have been known to lay fertile eggs without a male.

I wish my Festae females would do that.

Seriously though... Are you serious?? I don't think so.

Mine did the same. She just guarded them but never ate them.

HUKIT said:
You get the award for the most ridiculous post of the day.

Of course they didn't.

Yes like most species on the planet it takes two to tango!

Oh wow. I'm aware of simple biology. I was looking for clarity regarding bettaowners' post. He/she clearly stated "fertile eggs" with no present males. I'd never heard that before.

That's what I thought.. came across as odd to me, too, but then again I have read that livebearers can do it, so why not? Cool to know that that doesn't go across breeding techniques.

"Livebearers include the popular mollies, platies, swordtails, and guppies. Other livebearers are halfbeaks, anableps, and fish in the Goodeid family. They are easy to sex, as the female is larger, and the male has a rod-like anal fin called a gonopodium that he uses to internally fertilize the female. After fertilization, the female can produce multiple batches of babies without a male present."

Back
Top Bottom