Green Terror Missing

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

littlerob904

Aquarium Advice Regular
I stocked my first tank yesterday, a 75g. I bought 2 green terror cichlids, 2 red devils, and 2 bumblebee cichlids. All the fish were young and of similiar size, about 1.5in. The tank has been in my living room for several months and finally completed the cycle.

I realize this is probably too many fish for when they start to get larger, but I plan on getting a second tank in the future for my bedroom and will separate out what I have to.

The red devils and green terrors were housed together in the store so I didn't expect them to have a problem getting along. The bumblebees being only slightly smaller and much faster I figured would hold their own.

Day 1 in the tank and they were doing well, not much action, until one of the red devils started going after the other quite aggressively. The weaker one eventually found cover inside one of the lego structures I built and the other left him alone.

At one point the bully red devil started to attack the green terrors (which were sticking together) they promptly fought back and backed down and left them alone.

The bumblebees seemed to stay away from the action and were doing quite well exploring the tank.

This morning I woke up and everything seemed fine except I couldnt find one of the Green Terrors. I looked for almost 20 minutes before I left for work. I even looked in the rear filter section in the parts he could possibly jumped over the wall into. I looked around the tank thinking maybe he jumped out and couldn't find a thing. He was much too large to wind up in the belly of the other fish.

Are they that good at hiding? Or is he on the other side of my living room under the couch or something? I didn't get the impression that any of these fish were jumpers so i didn't worry about covering the tank, should I purchase a glass top?

I am not a pro at keeping these fish but I would defiantly be buying a top. When I feed my Malawi tank they get excited and sometimes jump It is a must to cover the top.

Any idea if you can buy sheets of acrylic at a craft store? Or any advice for a cheap option? The opening of my tank is significantly smaller than the tank itself, the tank is 48"L x 18"W and I would say the opening on the top is only about 36"L x 10"W with a 1" strip through the middle. Any cover could easily rest on top without sagging, any cheap suggestions?

You can get sheets of a acrylic at Lowes or home depot.

Since it is your first tank you should read up on cycling that is a very large tank to do a cycle with fish. Do you know anyone with a healthy freshwater tank that you can get some filter medium from and a few rocks or decorations so you can do a silent cycle?

You can get sheets of a acrylic at Lowes or home depot.

Since it is your first tank you should read up on cycling that is a very large tank to do a cycle with fish. Do you know anyone with a healthy freshwater tank that you can get some filter medium from and a few rocks or decorations so you can do a silent cycle?

Done. The tank is fully cycled, i completed a fishless cycle (it took over a month) I realize now my original post wasn't very clear as I used the word "started" instead of "stocked".

Back
Top Bottom