Green water help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Midnighttang

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have green water, algae bloom, I assume. How do I get rid of it and keep it away?
My 30 gallon aquarium, which I acquired used from a friend, has had fish in it for 2 months, 2 gold gouramis, 3 neon tetras, 6 cherry barbs, and 1 pleco (yes, I know he's going to be too big. I'll find him somewhere else to go eventually.) It's a newly planted tank with 4 small amazon swords, 1 anuibias, and 1 java fern. I did not cycle, because I didn't know about it then and my family and husband's family had kept fish tanks when we were kids and had never heard of cycling. I have diligently watched my parameters and have done frequent PWCs. The ammonia and nitrites are 0 and the nitrates are 5. My pH is 7.4 and I have hard water. It has whatever flourescent lights came with it, I'm not sure what watts. It does get indirect light from a window. I know I leave the lights on too long, around 12 hours a day when I work.
So, what is the best way to get rid of the algae without killing my plants? I'm going to try covering the one uncovered window an turn the lights off more, but I'm worried about the plants. I've read that you can use flocculents (sp?) and then vaccum the gravel and do a 25% water change, but I don't know if the chemicals will really get rid of the problem or if it will just come back.
Any suggestions to fix my green water problem?

If you have green water (I wish I had your problem) there is a source of nutrients in the tank to support them. Do some large water changes to remove those nutrients and it should go away. Green water isn't a bad thing in itself, and in your case, it is using up nutrients and actually helping your water conditions. Removing the algae is one way of exporting nutrients from the tank.

Last edited:
Thanks for the advice. I've been doing 25% water changes every 2 or 3 days for the past 2 weeks and it gets a little better, then comes back full force and I can barely see the fish. I just did a 50% and it looks pretty good. Maybe it will finally turn around.

Back
Top Bottom