GREEN WATER! please help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
paul87 said:
My boss has a willow tree in his yard and I know where a bunch are. You know what they look like right?

Yea I looked on Google just to make sure it was what I thought it was. Just can't say that I remember seeing one in south Florida

Oh. yea I'm in Tennessee so you see them pretty often. Not many palm trees up here. Lol

exactly lol it becomes finding a needle in a haystack ha. But since you used the duck weed, I know you didn't remove it but if you would want to do you think you could easily?

Possibly. I've heard it I'd hard to get rid of bit the giant or greater duckweed should be easier. Also check into frogbit or other easily removed floating plants.

Even water hyacinth usually used in ponds will work, just not as fast as willow will.
Right now I'm battling black beard algae so i feel your pain! Bba is a nightmare to get rid of.

ForumRunnerImage.jpg

ForumRunnerImage.jpg

unfortunately I don't have any good lfs near me and are constrained to petsmart/PETCO. Would anacharis plant work for a good floating plant?

On a side note I remember reading that nitrites turn into nitrates and that nitrates are what algae feeds off of correct? Just tested my water and got this for results

ForumRunner_20120927_193022.jpg

ForumRunner_20120927_193032.jpg

It looks like my nitrates are a little high (3 range) what can I do to lower them?

Sorry im pretty new at this.

I'm dealing with some green water myself, I've never heard of the willow trick before but I'm excited to try it

Here's a before and after pic of my tank. This literally happened overnight! I couldn't believe it honestly.

PicsArt_1349057266554.jpg

paul87 said:
Here's a before and after pic of my tank. This literally happened overnight! I couldn't believe it honestly.

WOW! I sure hope that happens for me.

ForumRunner_20120930_221917.jpg

This is mine. Its gotten slightly better but still bad.

Did you get the duckweed? If you didn't want it I'd give the willow a try.

Wow, that is an amazing before and after picture!! Yesterday, I just put a few willow stems into my tank that was slightly green after a 1/4 water change, it looks better but still is not as clear as I want it to be

I ordered the duck weed off of eBay. still waiting for it to come in. My guess would be Thursday or Friday. Seller ships on Monday and from Montana to south Florida would be around then. Couldn't get all giant duck weed though. Had to get a regular and giant mix

Yea I know right! I didn't even do a water change with it either. I've very happy with it.

Trust me. As long as the willow is alive when you collect it and place in the tank it will also work in just a matter of a few days.

Gotgutz said:
So I've been dealing with green water for a while and its slowly gotten better but its still has green tint to it. Is there a place you can buy branches? I wouldn't know where to find a willow tree if I had too.

I would check with a local florist...but make sure you tell them it needs to be live willow...not old or preserved willow. Most florists have willow on hand.

So i was able to get some Curly Willow at a near by florist. hopefully itll work!

Will update in a few days. Just did around a 45% water change and put the willow in.

Back
Top Bottom