Green Water Problem...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thetmaxx

Aquarium Advice Activist
When I changed my lighting from some makeshift plant lights from wal*mart to a real 55gal over head light, My water started gettign cloudy. When I drained soem of the water in a white bucket it was easy to see it was green. After a few days of not running the lgiht, the water quickly cleared up.

It's a 48" 40Watt Bulb with reflective material behind the bulb.

Very bright, but I didn't think it would be bright enough to cause algae problems. The problem is I have is my plants ned light too, but running the light all day quickly brings back the green water. My heater keeps the tank at about 75 F. I don't have many fish, and chanhe my water and filter on a normal schedual that doesn't differ from before i had the lights. ALso my chemicals are all in the ideal range rfor a tropical aquarium.

What can I do to combat the green water? Thank You!!

Kind of odd to see greenwater in such a low light tank. Its typically the bane among higher light setups.

Please list your water parameters. Its not sufficient to say "they're all good". we need the real numbers.

Agreed. Did you redecorate the tank recently? Stirring up the gravel can release pockets of NH4(3) which can cause a greenwater bloom. Diatom filters or UV sterilizer is the best method of getting rid of greenwater.

I think I might have, when I planted 4 new plants near the time i got the light, but i cannot say for sure when.
Nitrate - 20ppm
Nitrite - 0ppm
hardness 100ppm
alkalinity - 120ppm
pH 7.2
amonia - 0ppm

I'll check into some UV sterilizer.
Curently the tank is cleared up, aftetr a week of very little light "on" time. so i'm going to run it regularly, and if the problem comes back i'll look into UV sterilizer.

Thanks for the help!

ok, will do... I have always just kindda had them in there, and they grow half decently. whould knowing the phosphate level help to determine the green water problem?

Yes. algae is always caused by an imbalance in nutrients, specifically nitrate and phosphate ratios.

lack of phosphate usually prompts greenwater....lack of nitrate usually starts a BBA bloom (among others)

If you can find one, Seachem makes a great affordable PO4 test kit that is pretty easy to read.

One cost-effective solution that has worked well in the treatment of green water for me is the AquaClear Quick Filter, a low-micron filter attachment for powerheads that can make quick work of green water depending on the severity. The filters are very inexpensive and provide a great low-cost alternative to diatom filters or UV sterilizers.

Back
Top Bottom