Growing Algae in Cichlid Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Convict2161

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok so I read something online and saw a YouTube video about promoting algae in a Cichlid tank on purpose. My question is or questions I should say.

Why would you do this?

Is it beneficial in any way?

Convict2161 said:
Ok so I read something online and saw a YouTube video about promoting algae in a Cichlid tank on purpose. My question is or questions I should say.

Why would you do this?

Is it beneficial in any way?

Just from what I've read.. It's a food source for them? I've read countless articles on making your own algae rocks & placing them in Cichlid tanks..

Sorry, guess it depends on the type of algae? I don't know the types you'd want or not want. But that's what I've read.

When my tank was still new and cycling I had gotten an algae bloom and noticed my mbunas were LOVING it! They would graze around all day eating it. I also read somewhere that mbuna's lips are formed the way they are for this purpose, algae grazing. I grew algae on rocks outside in some water and I'd take one or two and put it in the tank then I'd take two from the tank and put them in the bucket outside. The fish would have them cleaned off in just a few hours.

I don't intentionally promote algae growth in my mbuna tanks, but I don't go out of my way to discourage it, either. The rocks in my mbuna tanks get covered with a layer of algae and the fish graze it and keep it trimmed back to a thin coating. It is interesting watching different species graze, as different species have different methods based on mouth position and tooth structure. They will not eat diatoms, BBA or blue-green algae (cyanobacteria). If yer gonna try this, ya need to make sure the lighting is sufficient enough to support the growth of green algae varieties.

WYite

Mine pick green algae off the rocks and glass. They do a pretty good job but the pleco helps them out too.. so I don't even clean my little bit of back glass that's showing.

I think I have enough light lol.

4 bulb T5 HO fixture. Maybe I'll have my light cycle on longer and see what happens. I've been reading today that its pretty common for hobbyist to do this in a Cichlid tank.

I'm gonna to do more research and of course get everyone's opinion on this.

So thanks to everyone that's responded.

Convict2161 said:
I think I have enough light lol.

4 bulb T5 HO fixture. Maybe I'll have my light cycle on longer and see what happens. I've been reading today that its pretty common for hobbyist to do this in a Cichlid tank.

I'm gonna to do more research and of course get everyone's opinion on this.

So thanks to everyone that's responded.

I'm wanting to do this.. I finally got some smooth river rocks to put in a bucket of old tank water that I'll sit outside in the sun..

fishfool58 said:
I'm wanting to do this.. I finally got some smooth river rocks to put in a bucket of old tank water that I'll sit outside in the sun..

It takes a good while, I didn't see any growth for over three weeks, but once it started it took off. I added a tiny bit of fish food that contained phosphate.

So would upping my light schedule help grow the right kind of green algae?

Also is it sure to grow the right kind or can nuisance algae grow also, which I'm guessing the answer is yes.

Convict2161 said:
So would upping my light schedule help grow the right kind of green algae?

Also is it sure to grow the right kind or can nuisance algae grow also, which I'm guessing the answer is yes.

Personally I would try adding some tank safe rocks to a bowl of tank water and sit it on a windowsill until it grows some algae then drop a stone in and see if they chow down.

I'd rather this than an uncontrollable algae out break.

This way you can control the amount.

Jon

This is how it grows and looks on my rocks, like I said it stays that way. On two other rocks in there I get red algae witch I don't see them eat but it stays little. So all in all none of it gets out of control :) but I like the look It adds a little color

ForumRunner_20121010_151847.jpg

Andrew McFadden said:
This is how it grows and looks on my rocks, like I said it stays that way. On two other rocks in there I get red algae witch I don't see them eat but it stays little. So all in all none of it gets out of control :) but I like the look It adds a little color

Oh yeah I really like that Andy!!

Andrew McFadden said:
It mostly grows where the uvb bulbs are and thanks

I think I'm gonna try this with some rocks outside the tank. Does it foul up water parameters at all?

Convict2161 said:
I think I'm gonna try this with some rocks outside the tank. Does it foul up water parameters at all?

I wouldn't think so? It's just algae.. Right? If anything I'd think it would help when you put it in, taking all the ammonia/nitrites/nitrates.. But that's just what I think.. I don't actually know.. Keep me updated.. :) I wanna try this too.

I'm pretty sure algae is natural and occurs in nature so it has to have a benefit of some sort. I believe the only negative is its lack of eye appeal

cichlidcasey said:
I'm pretty sure algae is natural and occurs in nature so it has to have a benefit of some sort. I believe the only negative is its lack of eye appeal

True, I have a couple planted tanks, you gotta plant heavy so the plants can out compete the algae.. So algae uses ammonia & such to grow.. They feed off of that.. So I don't see it hurting, just your eyes, but the green algae doesn't look so bad, more natural, so in a natural looking tank, it might make you happier to see.. :)

Back
Top Bottom