Growing Algae in Cichlid Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is how it grows and looks on my rocks, like I said it stays that way. On two other rocks in there I get red algae witch I don't see them eat but it stays little. So all in all none of it gets out of control :) but I like the look It adds a little color

View attachment 124065

That's 'bout what my mbuna tanks look like, as well. :) Plan on lettin' the tank with tropheus in it get the same way when I finally decide which variety I want.

As far as water parameters, there is no issue. With plants in a planted tank, nitrate and phosphate are incorporated into the plant and take the nutrients out of play, and are subsequently removed when the plant is pruned. That doesn't happen with algae. The algae actually uses nitrates and phosphates, but there is no nutrient export occuring as the fish eat the algae and just recycle the nutrients as waste. Ya still hafta keep up on water changes.

WYite

I also like the looks of green algae on my rocks and the mbuna do really love it.

Convict2161 said:
I like the look and the whole concept. Wish me luck!!

Good luck!! How do you guys get it too look like that? I have a 75 gallon.. With some rocks out of a river, lace rocks, fake driftwood(for now) plan to add a real piece later.. Fake plants(for now, since my cichlids are still all fry & I have 40+ I only have 1 light.. It's two 24" bulbs to reach the full 48" long both 6700k. Thanks.

I'm going to take rocks and leave them I water and outside in direct sunlight and see what happens. When a rock starts growing a nice patch I'll add it to the tank.

Convict2161 said:
I'm going to take rocks and leave them I water and outside in direct sunlight and see what happens. When a rock starts growing a nice patch I'll add it to the tank.

Yeah, I understood that one, I'll be trying that next water change.. I meant how people have good algae growing successfully in the tank.. Lol

Same concept as an algae turf scrubber. I use one in my sw tank but it works just as well in fw. As the algae grows it consumes nitrates and phosphates . After a week clean the screen and let it grow again . Best filter I ever owned.

Hondatek said:
Same concept as an algae turf scrubber. I use one in my sw tank but it works just as well in fw. As the algae grows it consumes nitrates and phosphates . After a week clean the screen and let it grow again . Best filter I ever owned.

But I don't ever see any algae growth on my rocks?

Well you promote algae growth on the screen by having lights 4 inches away on both sides for 15 hours a day.here is a video of mine so you get the idea of a ats. It isn't for every setup but since the topic was algae growth working for your tank I figured I would mention it.

Hondatek said:
Well you promote algae growth on the screen by having lights 4 inches away on both sides for 15 hours a day.here is a video of mine so you get the idea of a ats. It isn't for every setup but since the topic was algae growth working for your tank I figured I would mention it.

Thanks, I'll look it up, but I meant how they have there's on there rocks from the tank,. Not by sitting them outside growing algae..

Back
Top Bottom