Guaramis

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vstevens

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a dwarf guarami, a blue guarami and a pictus catfish in a 10 gallon tank.
My DG will chase and attack my BG every time he comes out of his plant hiding place. What do I do?!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

um you need at least 20 gallons for that tank and never keep 2 goramies together try to keep them sepperated

um you need at least 20 gallons for that tank and never keep 2 goramies together try to keep them sepperated

I've been told that they would be fine.... But my DG is just being a bully.

they will fight to the death remove them seperate them and your cat needs 20 gallons so dose your blue

They've been just fine for a month and a half, just these past two days or so he's been mean.

some times they wait tell there territories are extablished or your tank is to crowded

:/ I'm thinking I'm going for discus next.... If I can rehome these two. The catfish is here to stay. He belly dances.

:/ I'm thinking I'm going for discus next.... If I can rehome these two. The catfish is here to stay. He belly dances.

Im thinking you have a lot of research to do.

Obviously.
I should've never came to you people for help. Y'all think your better than everyone else. Done.

im sorry if it came across that way but it the truth that you are over stocked and your fish will fight i am sorry if i was rude

What they are telling you is true. 2 gouramis in a tank is a recipe for disaster. They are very territorial towards each other and one will usually bully the other to death. Now they can be kept in a large school, but a 10g is too small for that. The only real option for you is to rehome one of them. If a lfs told you otherwise, then go ahead and throw out all of the information theyve given you because they were wrong when supplying common knowledge. If it was another hobbyist, well that goes along with getting good research. You have to fact check most things people tell you.

Now, its not to say that there will never be 2 male gouramis in a tank cohabitating, but its very very rare. All fish have an individual temperament.

They were also right about the pictus cat as they get far far too large for a 10g tank.

My two dwarf males fight too and they are in a 20g, so I'm moving my blue to my 55. Also, discus are highly advanced. I think they require large tanks >60 gallon and multiple large water changes per week. Not for a newbie (I'm a newbie too. Don't feel bad).

Not to detract from OP but I have an Additional gourami question... Approximately what size tank is generally appropriate for a blue gourami and a pearl once it's all grown up (not together, just wondering which would be better for me)? Dimensions and or gallon size is appreciated!

So the whole one gallon per one inch is bs?
The pictus would only get to 5 in, there's 5gallons.

I got all my info from a LPS and I guess they were wrong.

So if I can ever get these three rehomed, can I move my Beta (he's in a 3gal) to the 10 and get some ghost shrimp, maybe a oto?

So the whole one gallon per one inch is bs?
The pictus would only get to 5 in, there's 5gallons.

I got all my info from a LPS and I guess they were wrong.

Pretty much. That rule was made back before filters were invented. Now we know much more about fish and its based more off of activity. Thats why I suggested www.aqadvisor.com so you could play around with stocking yourself.
So if I can ever get these three rehomed, can I move my Beta (he's in a 3gal) to the 10 and get some ghost shrimp, maybe a oto?

The betta might eat the shrimp, but yeah that would work. Oto cats are schooling fish though and need to be kept in groups of 6.

Then is there any thing similar to the oto that doesn't have to be kept in 6?
Like something that I can just have one of?
I've heard mixed stories on beta and ghost shrimp, my beta seems really chill though.

Then is there any thing similar to the oto that doesn't have to be kept in 6?
Like something that I can just have one of?
I've heard mixed stories on beta and ghost shrimp, my beta seems really chill though.

None that ive ever heard of. The common sucker fish are the plecos which need 30g minimum depending on the type. Some need over 100g. Others are chinese algae eaters which habitually eat the eyes of their tank mates.

Back
Top Bottom