Guess what I am!?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KreativJustin

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hello everyone,

Just adopted a new friend last night when I went to pick up a new Amazon Sword. I apologize for the less than great photo, but can you guess what this little one is? :fish2: Tiny hint: That's white on his fins, that should make it pretty easy.

Attachments

• 346101203_561533389458227_6140085023206010183_n.jpg
    346101203_561533389458227_6140085023206010183_n.jpg
    181.9 KB · Views: 33
It looks like one of the Gold Nugget plecos. ( There are 3 :L-18, L-85& L177 that are commonly called Gold Nuggets but they are actually different species. )

bristlenose or some other type of South American sucker mouth catfish.

It looks like one of the Gold Nugget plecos. ( There are 3 :L-18, L-85& L177 that are commonly called Gold Nuggets but they are actually different species. )

It is a type of bristlenose.. what type? It is not a nugget, I do have a Gold Spotted Pleco though, he's pretty cool himself.

Are you sure of that? Did you buy it as a bristlenose or was it listed as one because the seller didn't know what it was? :whistle: :brows: :D

Yes I am 100% sure :) They actually had 3 types, they had this one (standard).. one that was albino, and one that is calico :) I am going back this weekend and picking up the calico one if they still have them.

My tank makes the guy look more yellowish than he really is. He has a bright white on his tail and his fins.

He is what is known as a Longfin Bristlenose Pleco

https://aquaticarts.com/products/longfin-bristlenose-pleco

Yes I am 100% sure :) They actually had 3 types, they had this one (standard).. one that was albino, and one that is calico :) I am going back this weekend and picking up the calico one if they still have them.

My tank makes the guy look more yellowish than he really is. He has a bright white on his tail and his fins.

He is what is known as a Longfin Bristlenose Pleco

https://aquaticarts.com/products/longfin-bristlenose-pleco

Aha, the yellow threw me. :( I never saw any white, only yellow. Since it's a man made fish, it's very possible to alter patterns and colors.
There are actually a few different species referred to as "bristlenose" with many color morphs of these few species. I thought you were looking for which species of bristlenose this was. :huh:

Aha, the yellow threw me. :( I never saw any white, only yellow. Since it's a man made fish, it's very possible to alter patterns and colors.
There are actually a few different species referred to as "bristlenose" with many color morphs of these few species. I thought you were looking for which species of bristlenose this was. :huh:

Oh! lol, I knew what it was, I was wondering if you all could figure it out lol :brows:

Oh! lol, I knew what it was, I was wondering if you all could figure it out lol :brows:
That's cheating with man made fish ( and hybrids). :lol: Too much genetic manipulation can alter a specie's appearance making it very difficult to discern with the naked eye ( especially in non natural lighting.) :whistle:

That's cheating with man made fish ( and hybrids). :lol: Too much genetic manipulation can alter a specie's appearance making it very difficult to discern with the naked eye ( especially in non natural lighting.) :whistle:

Yeah lol sorry about the crappy photo :) I honestly didn't know that they were a man-made one. How do you know which ones are the natural ones and which were altered?

Yeah lol sorry about the crappy photo :) I honestly didn't know that they were a man-made one. How do you know which ones are the natural ones and which were altered?
If it's a long finned, anything it's more likely man made vs wild. The longer fins usually make the fish a slower swimmer so any natural ones would probably be eaten when young. As for color morphs, just look for the Latin name then google that name and you'll usually see the wild form.
Now farms and home breeders are making so many hybrids, odd shapes and color morphs that some have no resemblance to their natural forms. For example, there are no natural glow fish, balloon anything, long finned anything and while Albinoism is a natural anomaly, it is rare for wild albinos to survive in nature because they stand out so much and are usually predated upon. Albino strains are made by selectively breeding animals with these natural anomalies to one another. There are many books ( I know, old school :lol:) on tropical fish that will show you the natural colors. Look for old ones so they don't contain the new color morphs. (y)

If it's a long finned, anything it's more likely man made vs wild. The longer fins usually make the fish a slower swimmer so any natural ones would probably be eaten when young. As for color morphs, just look for the Latin name then google that name and you'll usually see the wild form.
Now farms and home breeders are making so many hybrids, odd shapes and color morphs that some have no resemblance to their natural forms. For example, there are no natural glow fish, balloon anything, long finned anything and while Albinoism is a natural anomaly, it is rare for wild albinos to survive in nature because they stand out so much and are usually predated upon. Albino strains are made by selectively breeding animals with these natural anomalies to one another. There are many books ( I know, old school :lol:) on tropical fish that will show you the natural colors. Look for old ones so they don't contain the new color morphs. (y)

Thanks for the knowledge!! I just love plecos, I don't much care for the glow fish, I think its kinda crazy how we did that to fish, and not in a good way :(

Thanks for the knowledge!! I just love plecos, I don't much care for the glow fish, I think its kinda crazy how we did that to fish, and not in a good way :(
There has been, unfortunately, a number of things that were done to fish in order to make them more " salable" that leaves a lot to be desired. From painting to tattooing to gamma radiation to reshaping.... it's enough to make you really wonder about people. :hide: :facepalm: I've seen a lot in the 50+ years I've been in this hobby. :(

There has been, unfortunately, a number of things that were done to fish in order to make them more " salable" that leaves a lot to be desired. From painting to tattooing to gamma radiation to reshaping.... it's enough to make you really wonder about people. :hide: :facepalm: I've seen a lot in the 50+ years I've been in this hobby. :(

Yeah, and unfortunately I'm contributing to it.. then again, the world must go on. The duality of man.

Back
Top Bottom