Guesses?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

emilygupps

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Any idea what caused the danio to look this way? We adopted him and a tank full of friends in a dirty tank. He seems healthy other wise and sucks food in to his perpetually open mouth. Danios sure are tough little boogers.

Looks like mouth rot

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Is that a thing? Can I fix that or is the damage done?

There are medications for mouth rot! most fish stores will have them because it is pretty common. I can't tell from the picture if he still has it though, it will look red and inflamed and almost like an open wound would. If I were you I would definitely try to treat it, most medications run under $10. I have heard of fish getting their mouths bitten off by turtle and the mouths growing back but I don't know if this would happen with a danio. as long as he is eating and swimming happily he should be okay!

I agree- if he is swimming, eating and happy, let him be!

I do not see any signs of active infection that would require treatment. The mouth 'deformity' may be just that- a genetic or physical deformity. It may also be the result of an injury or a past infection. Without knowing his history, it's quite difficult to tell.

Just keep an eye on him for any signs of an issue and to be sure he is able to eat ok. :)

I'm treating them all with malefix for a few more days. They all have very red gills, and one neon is completely pale. Can't even see the red. I'm not sure he will make it through the night. The vet techs at my bf's work bagged the fish and emptied the tank they lived in to send it home (big mistake!) I wanted to assess them and not shock them with clean water, which is happening any way.

I'm treating them all with malefix for a few more days. They all have very red gills, and one neon is completely pale. Can't even see the red. I'm not sure he will make it through the night. The vet techs at my bf's work bagged the fish and emptied the tank they lived in to send it home (big mistake!) I wanted to assess them and not shock them with clean water, which is happening any way.

Back
Top Bottom