Guppies dropping dead

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
+1... It's a hard thing to say that we don't know the answer but sometimes it's unexplainable. I had a dwarf gourami pass away last week. No physical signs, everything else in the tank perfect. It's just a mystery.

If I had to guess its something off in the chemistry. If your regular parameters are in check i would say it's some trace element that is just high enough to be toxic. Even rusty pipes from your tap water can leach nasty stuff.

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS
+1 and the changing seasons wirh the melt water plays havoc with water parameters.

Thank you so much for your help.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Now a black Mollie looks like it's dying this is the first fish that is acting unusual. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429193501.394508.jpg all my fish in my other tanks are fine and none have died in a long time.

Was your last water change when you got the oto or a few days before? Basically seeing if a pwc timing could match up or not with problems starting.

Is the oto fine? No issues.

Can you run any carbon in your filter? That may help filter out anything in the water that shouldn't be there.

I don't remember exactly when I did the water change but it was not long ago. The oto is doing well and is acting normal like the others. My filter has carbon in it.

My bet would be on water chemistry. I'd check the tap water ph, ammonia, kh, gh, etc to make sure it matches your usual tap water chemistry. This is very crude as any water problems may be for an element we don't test for.

Then a water change using a water conditioner like seachem prime that detoxifies ammonia and heavy metals as well. Change the filter carbon as well.

Also I would pop back to the shop if possible and check their tanks to see if they have any problems. I'd also ask them if anyone else has been getting problems with tap water.

Edit - to me as well that Molly looks a bit thin. Otherwise can't see anything off.

Last edited:
Has the possibility of just a bad line of fish come up? I know my fiance and I had trouble with platies and guppies until we started getting them from a local guy who bred them for quality. This sounds a lot like the problems we had.

Well they have been doing good for a long time.

Back
Top Bottom