Guppy behavior help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jjholup

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I bought 4 guppies a few days ago for a 16 gallon tank. After awhile all 4 guppies started swimming only at the top, with their mouths touching the surface. One died on the 4th day. I read up on this behavior and found all kinds of possible problems - the main ones being poor water quality or not enough oxygen in the water. The water quality is ok (tested with API master test kit), so I added an airstone. The guppies are no longer at the top of the tank. They are swimming all over, darting here and there quickly. So...is this type of swimming normal? Or are they freaked out by all the bubbles. The bubbles are causing a current in the water so I'm wondering if it's upsetting them. This particular air pump does not allow control of the airflow, so it's all or nothing. I can get a better pump if need be. Thanks for any advice. We don't want to loose more guppies!

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I do not know about guppy behavior, but one thing to look at with any species is male/female ratio. For my schools, I usually have 1 male and 5+ females, that is so the females are not worn out.

Also you can buy air hose attachments (they are plastic) to regulate the air flow, they cost like a dollar or two.

I bought 4 guppies a few days ago for a 16 gallon tank. After awhile all 4 guppies started swimming only at the top, with their mouths touching the surface. One died on the 4th day. I read up on this behavior and found all kinds of possible problems - the main ones being poor water quality or not enough oxygen in the water. The water quality is ok (tested with API master test kit), so I added an airstone. The guppies are no longer at the top of the tank. They are swimming all over, darting here and there quickly. So...is this type of swimming normal? Or are they freaked out by all the bubbles. The bubbles are causing a current in the water so I'm wondering if it's upsetting them. This particular air pump does not allow control of the airflow, so it's all or nothing. I can get a better pump if need be. Thanks for any advice. We don't want to loose more guppies!

I have guppies and mine (I originally had 2) stayed at the top and someone suggested that although they are not schooling fish, they feel more comfortable in groups of their own kind. I now have 6 and they are all over the tank, not just at the top.

I find that my fish do the darting thing when they are new to a tank. They are a bit freaked out by being in a new place. They will probably settle down in a little while when they are used to your tank.

Thanks. The 3 remaining were doing ok until last night - 1 started just sitting at the bottom of the tank. Just recently the other 2 keep coming over to pester him and he chases them away and goes back to "resting". Please help :((

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1406991749.150417.jpg

Back
Top Bottom