Guppy breeding help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

msweitzer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I have started to getting into breeding guppies. I bred 1 batch and left all the fish in the tank and i was left with 3 fry. I was wondering if you guys can tell me a good system to use and if so, a list of what i need to buy at the pet store. I already have 5 guppys (1 pregnant) in a 15g tank.

As soon as you see shes preggers, just move her to a bare bottom tank with so.e fliating plants. She'll have babies. Once this has happened, remove her, and raise the fry. Once you see the fry mature and can determin sex, seperate males and females. Then do this with another female and keep those fry seperated by sex as they grow. Then yoy can cross the 1st batches males with 2nd batches females. And vise versa. This keeps the genepool clean. This was a simplistic, abbreviated, crash course, easy termns description of how to start witj breeding guppies.

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Ok that is very good to know. So I should go buy say a 2.5g tank and a couple floating plants and put her in there? What else should i buy? What should i feed them. Does brine shrimp work?

Sent from my SM-G900P using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Yes on the tank and plants.brine is ok for adults, hikari first bites for the fry. You can always crush flake food to powder for the fry as well.

So dont feed the fry brine? Is hikari sold and most stores?

Also, do i need any filter or gravel or heater in my 2-3g tank?

Sponge filter, heater set at 80, baby brine shrimp is ideal, but hikari firat bites or flaje ground to dust will be ok. Also golden pearls or decapsulated brine shrimp eggs is great too. O substrate. Leave it bare bottom.

Ok well my tank rn has the heater off and its at 79. Do u think i can go no heater till winter? Also, im going to go with the hikari first bites. Thanks for all your help. Can i message u if i have any other questions?

Yes, no problem. The 80 was for speedy fry development, but 76ish is fine.

Any question ya got, any time ya got a question, just holler. Ill do my best to answer or direct you to a better source.

Oh ya i tryed tht. I may feed them some of tht to

Ok that is very good to know. So I should go buy say a 2.5g tank and a couple floating plants and put her in there? What else should i buy? What should i feed them. Does brine shrimp work?

well a lot of this depends on how much you are into this. i would get 2 20 gallon tanks, or a 20 and a 10. i use a 20 for my babies and i am thinking of putting them in a 100 gallon horse trof with all their needed equitment, to give them more room. i would get a 20 for the babies and use a 10 gallon for them moms, and get a few dividers for them so you can have multiple moms at once.
and a 2.5 gallon is way to small, i had 16 in a 5 gallon and when they got to be 1/4 of an inch they just stopped growing and then started dieing, then i move my remaining 4 to a to gallon and started growing

The more tanks thing was just for seperation of m/f generations. It keeps inbreding and color dilution at bay

Back
Top Bottom