Guppy died suddenly

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Owp

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 25 litre tank which had 4 guppies and 4 neon tetras, I only got them a week ago and one has died very suddenly. I found the fish attached upside down to the Anacharis plant. The other fish seem to be ok and the guppy never got chased as far as I’m aware. I have tested for ammonia and none is there but I’m yet to test for nitrates and nitrites. There are hiding places and live plants. Does anyone know why this happened?

I tested for nitrate and nitrite - nitrite was 0 but nitrate was above zero but very low. I did a water change. Does anyone know why the guppy may have died

Maybe It had a internal parasite that it contracted from the pet store?

Did you cycle the tank before adding fish? Cause that can kill them quick, plus that tank is too small for those fish and that many :/ I'd get a test kit asap, and read about fish in cycling.

Did you cycle the tank before adding fish? Cause that can kill them quick, plus that tank is too small for those fish and that many :/ I'd get a test kit asap, and read about fish in cycling.

I cycled the tank for a week which I have read isn’t long enough, I do have test strips already. Thanks for the help

I cycled the tank for a week which I have read isn’t long enough, I do have test strips already. Thanks for the help
Get an api master liquid freshwater test kit if you can, test strips are inaccurate, also it takes longer than a week for the actual aquarium to cycle you'll know if you get the API Master freshwater test kit you'll get 0 ammonia 0 nitrites and 5-20 ppm nitrate

Get an api master liquid freshwater test kit if you can, test strips are inaccurate, also it takes longer than a week for the actual aquarium to cycle you'll know if you get the API Master freshwater test kit you'll get 0 ammonia 0 nitrites and 5-20 ppm nitrate

The reason why I buy test strips is because master test kits are expensive. I hadn’t read about cycling before I added the fish but in future I’ll make sure I will. Thanks for the help

I might try getting the api master test kit though how long does it generally last.

Back
Top Bottom