Guppy tail - advice please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sallyjano

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I bought a new guppy a couple of weeks ago and when I purchased him he had a part of his tail missing. I don't think it's fin rot (no white or red parts) - looks like a fish took a bite.

I was researching how to help it heal as it's been 2 weeks and no sign of regrowth. So far I've read:

1. Forget Melafix, it's just snake oil.

2. Keep stellar water conditions.

The question: Water is: 0 amm, 0 trites, very low trates. I am doing 50% PWC every week. Is that good enough? I see people say they are doing daily PWC of 10%. If my water conditions are good is 50% weekly good enough? Or should it be daily for some reason?

3. Add salt.

The question: How much should I add? I have the guppy and a swordtail in the tank currently.

Anything else I should do?

It's been two weeks so far and no signs of regrowth so appreciate any help.

Thanks!

IMO/E, I would not add anything to the tank. Just treat it with more WC's and shoot for larger and more frequent WC's. Say like 30% everyday or 50% every other day. Once a week is not enough to notice any change. If you do go with meds, make sure to remove the carbon first and also make sure the other fish can handle the meds. Personally, I buy all my fish whole and intact.

IMO/E, I would not add anything to the tank. Just treat it with more WC's and shoot for larger and more frequent WC's. Say like 30% everyday or 50% every other day. Once a week is not enough to notice any change. If you do go with meds, make sure to remove the carbon first and also make sure the other fish can handle the meds. Personally, I buy all my fish whole and intact.

OK thanks. I will try that. I am curious what changing it more frequently will do? If I'm already at 0 amm, 0 trites, low trates (about 10) - what does the frequent changing do? How does it get any better?

Yes I didn't mean to buy him that way. Silly me - when I first looked I thought it was a lyretail guppy and it wasn't until I got home that I realized it was a bite out of his tail!! I will be more careful next time.

More frequent pwc's ime reduce organics in the water which reduces the risk of infections. Just cleaner water.

Edit - forgot to add, I've seen people post with some amazing infection cures just doing nothing much more than lots of water changes so something to it.

More frequent pwc's ime reduce organics in the water which reduces the risk of infections. Just cleaner water.

Edit - forgot to add, I've seen people post with some amazing infection cures just doing nothing much more than lots of water changes so something to it.

Delapool is totally correct. In the main reply and the edit. Most often times, poor water conditions result in many problems that could have easily been avoided. Although your parameters may be perfect, and you feel a WC isn't needed, you could be creating a recipe for disaster. Especially in smaller tanks where things go from bad to worse at an incredible rate.

Delapool is totally correct. In the main reply and the edit. Most often times, poor water conditions result in many problems that could have easily been avoided. Although your parameters may be perfect, and you feel a WC isn't needed, you could be creating a recipe for disaster. Especially in smaller tanks where things go from bad to worse at an incredible rate.

Gotcha. OK thanks. I will do daily changes. But from what you're saying sounds like the changes is more about avoiding infection than actually helping it grow back?

Yes, if the base of the tail isn't exposed then the tail should grow back. So it is pretty much avoiding infection while nature does it's job. Putting him in QT with some fresh, good food would also help recovery.

Sorry for the delay but the app has been problematic lately. Dela covered it correctly. Good fresh water will help keep the bad bacteria from accumulating and risking infection (or worse). As well, IMO a QT would improve the chances of a better recovery being less stressful about hiding from the others.

Sorry for the delay but the app has been problematic lately. Dela covered it correctly. Good fresh water will help keep the bad bacteria from accumulating and risking infection (or worse). As well, IMO a QT would improve the chances of a better recovery being less stressful about hiding from the others.

:) I knew you had it covered but it's been so painful trying to get on to post. This one I think crashed a nano second after the post but was one of the few that would open. I was almost considering adding a teaspoon of salt to 5 gal to see if I could taste it or not .....

Ok thanks everyone! Clean water and good food it is. He is currently in my QT with just one other fish who is not bothering him so I think that works. I will try and get some fresh food.

Thanks!

:) I knew you had it covered but it's been so painful trying to get on to post. This one I think crashed a nano second after the post but was one of the few that would open. I was almost considering adding a teaspoon of salt to 5 gal to see if I could taste it or not .....

Lol. After seeing your name I knew the op was safe. But thanks for the props. ??

Back
Top Bottom