H.O.T. Magnum 250

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

degbowl

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was thinking of buying the HOT Magnum 250 to use as a diatom filter for occasional clean ups. Does anyone use this filter for that purpose. It looks like it is very easy to use and move from tank to tank. Big als has it for $39.99. Plmk if anyone has had good or bad experiences with this filter. Thanks!
Jim

Got one.It works but it clogs up really fast.As you said it is only good for occasional water polishing.Don't use it on an uncycled tank.Wait untill the water is ok first(no bacterial bloom).It will clean up green or yellow water as well but only temporarily. :wink:

Had one running for years. Good filter. The polishing cartridge clogs quickly. It has almost no biological capacity unless used in conjunction with a bio wheel setup. It will clean up a tank in a hurry though and the polishing cart isn't too hard to clean up for reuse. The large media container makes it easy to run GAC or any other media you want to.

brotherd said:
.Don't use it on an uncycled tank.Wait untill the water is ok first(no bacterial bloom).It will clean up green or yellow water as well but only temporarily. :wink:
I plan on using it on cycled tanks. I think it will work fine.

loganj said:
Had one running for years. Good filter. The polishing cartridge clogs quickly. It has almost no biological capacity unless used in conjunction with a bio wheel setup. It will clean up a tank in a hurry though and the polishing cart isn't too hard to clean up for reuse. The large media container makes it easy to run GAC or any other media you want to.
Can I use this filter with diatom powder or should I just use polishing cartridge? I just plan on using it for occasional cleaning. Thanks for the reply.

I'm thinking the polishing cart would be better. I don't think the media container will keep diatom power in and it would be difficult to stuff a bag of it in there due to the shape of the media container. I think you'll find the polishing cart does a good job...follow it with some GAC and the water should be crystal clear.

Back
Top Bottom