Hair algae advice.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

seablue36

Aquarium Advice Newbie
So, we had a pretty bad hair algae problem in our 30 gallon reef tank that we have tried treating with API brand Marine Algaefix with little or no success. When we switched to the 55 gallon this week my boyfriend spent some time cleaning the live rock as best he could (Taking the tube worms in to account.) and the mechanics of the tank but I can already see that its going to become a problem again. I was wondering if any of you had some practical advice on how to control it? Our sailfin tang is happy as a bug in a rug and so is our sally lightfoot but its going to end up being a huge ugly problem. Thank you in advance!

What kind of filtration do you have. What are your parameters testing at?

Algae is an indication of too much nutrients in the water. Either nitrate or phosphate or both. Too much feeding.

Also your tank is too small for a sailfin. They need a 180 gallon min.

I don't do the testing. I will ask my boyfriend when he gets home and post back here. As for the Sailfin. It is a very young juvenile not quite a full 4 inches long yet. We will be upsizing the tanks as it grows to provide it with the space it needs.

Well keep in mind that tangs produce A LOT of waste. They aren't as efficient at digesting what they eat as compared to other fish.

I posted this in another thread, but I have the same problem in a 75 bow front.

I got a large turbo from Petco, and several smaller ones. About 25 bucks worth.

This payed off in about 3 weeks.... the "KONG" was blazing trails about 2 inches wide and the smaller guys worked the sided and the rock. "KONG" would clean a rock in ohhh about 10 seconds..:cool:

Anyway... once cleaned... I returned the big guy and kept the small ones. They took him back....

Keep in mind... I was starving my fish with very small food quantities.

Here is "KONG" and a smaller turbo... for size reality!! :lol:

Its sweet and safe

Mike in Myrtle Beach20130506_221723.jpg

Other things to consider are :
how long has tank been running?
what is your maintainance schedule?
eg water change frequency, algae removal frequency
type of lighting, age of bulbs?
Type of filtration?
Skimmer
Filter socks
Sump/canister or hob filter
Tank parameters?
Cuc's, tangs and medication will not solve the problem only mask it you need to determine what is feeding the algae problem

Back
Top Bottom