Hair algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mikebaker

Aquarium Advice Activist
Does anyone have a suggestion for a fish or fishes i could use to control green hair algae in my 77 gallon planted discus tank?

I would try some Cherry Red Shrimp. You are gonna need a couple dozen to make any difference in a 77g though. Amanos would work as well, just depends on your area. My LFS has them for $4 each. No thanks.

I can recommend testing nitrate and phosphate levels, to see what your nutrient imbalance is. Then you can correct it, eliminating (or at least drastically reducing the need) for algae eating fish.

fish simply will not control a large amount of algae. if you have a lot of algae, your macro nutrients are out of balance, or you have too much light and too little CO2.

i have about 1.2 watts per gallon with swords and some other low light plants, i'm running two diy co2 setups, what should my phosphates and nitrates be at, i keep iron around .3mg/ 100l

You want phophates to nitrates in a 1 to 10 ratio. So if your nitrates are 10 you want your phosphates to be 1.

ringfinger said:
I would try some Cherry Red Shrimp. You are gonna need a couple dozen to make any difference in a 77g though. Amanos would work as well, just depends on your area. My LFS has them for $4 each. No thanks.

Two amano shrimp POLISHED my 10 gal overnight. My wife and I were amazed. Worth $8 IMO. :)

I believe i have discovered my problem, i've been using plant gro npk and the ration of nitrate to phospate is 7 to 1 not 10 to 1. I think i'll up my co2 and try some excel, any thoughts on a good fert that's easy to use?

at 1.2 wpg I wouldn't fertilize. I would get a box of flourish root tabs, and place one as deep as you can under the sword( or any other plants which are root feeders) Fish poo should be enough for the rest of your plants.

Back
Top Bottom