Half Moon Betta Build Log 10gal

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

betta_

Aquarium Advice Regular
5/17/2015

Here is the Half Moon Betta I bought at my lfs who's on hold until my sponge filter is properly seeded:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431920403.276701.jpg

Beautiful, isn't he? He's approximately 6 months old :)

Boiling the tannins out of the Manzanita driftwood:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431920490.262195.jpg

Unfortunately, I didn't have a large pot to boil it in so I just turned it upside down/right side up and added water until it was boiled clear. Took long enough...

Here's my tank as it is setup now:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431920685.972995.jpg

Seen in the tank is:
-Manzanita driftwood with Anubias nana petite strapped to it with lead plant strips
-Amazon swords in the back left
-A couple of matching color rocks that I thought looked baller
-Eheim Jäger 50 watt heater (currently calibrating it)
-Aqueon Versa-Top glass tank cover
-Beamswork PowerLED300 6500k light bar with blue night setting
-Not pictured is my sponge filter which is currently being seeded

I may be moving one of the Amazon sword plants to the front right..

Open to suggestions :)

Enjoy!
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431921421.858372.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1431921438.060347.jpg

New fish.

Looking good, depending on where you put your sponge filter, you could use your amazon sword to hide it once it fills in

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'm thinking I'm going to transplant one to the front right, like you said, once it gets a little bigger to hide the filter/heater

New fish.

Update:
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1432122324.922692.jpg
Added chains word underneath Manzanita branch as well as Nymphoides sp. Taiwan on the right to kind of mask the heater and sponge filter (not pictured)

New fish.

Seeded sponge filter is in!
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1432331756.623214.jpg

I will have to shuffle some plants around

Koga gets picked up today after work!

New fish.

Get some flourish tabs under the swords, sweet betta!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Get some flourish tabs under the swords, sweet betta!

Thanks Brookster! I have put plant tabs underneath the swords.ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1432348147.908291.jpg
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1432348163.476427.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1432348185.193600.jpg

Koga is adjusting really well. His curiosity of his new environment shows!

New fish.

Beautiful fish! I would add some stem plant to be left floating that is soft and long like Elodea (others which might be good growers for your area, Hornwort, etc.) then the Betta can rest in it near the top, they love that. They also like the floating Betta logs (but the paint eventually comes off and you can just get a new one). Banana plants or lilies too, they will rest in the crook of the leaves.

Beautiful fish! I would add some stem plant to be left floating that is soft and long like Elodea (others which might be good growers for your area, Hornwort, etc.) then the Betta can rest in it near the top, they love that. They also like the floating Betta logs (but the paint eventually comes off and you can just get a new one). Banana plants or lilies too, they will rest in the crook of the leaves.

I will definitely take that into consideration. My cousins salvinia plants grow like weeds in his 55 so I might just snag a few from him and let them propagate ?

New fish.

I have hornwort in my Betta tanks and they love it. It's a resting spot and think enough to be some shade.

On your sword- any torn or browning leaves like the really tall one trim it back to the plant base. This makes way for new healthy leaves so the unhealthy ones are not using nutrients.

Caleb

Just a quick update as of 07.19.2014:

-Added Endlers Gulpies (5)
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1437354341.143602.jpg
(Sorry about the focus, they're quick!)

-Added 2 Zebra Nerite snails
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1437354413.545396.jpg
As you can see there, aside from the snails, my dwarf chainsword is "chaining" into my amazon sword. Is there any harm to either plant if that happens?

That's all for the additions and so far Koga gets along with, or at least tolerates, the Endlers.

I had a white fungus on my Manzanita branch AND diatom bloom from the silicates in the tank. The diatoms faded away, but the fungus was still there a couple months after first setting up the tank. The nerites are voracious waters and have been doing a great job in eating/cleaning the branch and the tank for that matter.

My nana petites are doing well after adding nutrients to the water column via Seachem's Flourish. I was recommended it from another AA member!
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1437355044.482153.jpg
I'm going for that underwater tree look. Eventually, the petites will grow into their own and thicken up and look like "leaves" on the Manazanita wood.

Here's Koga!
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1437354731.614563.jpg
That's one handsome Betta!

Oh, my nymphs grew to the surface of the tanks water level then "melted" and became shorter? I'm not sure if that's part of its life cycle but now it's smaller! I'm sure it will grow bigger.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1437354844.519753.jpg

New fish.

And finally, a complete view of the tank as it sits now.
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1437355184.956828.jpg

I'm really excited to see this tank mature!

Thanks guys! I'll see you in the next update ?

New fish.

Looking good as far as the chain sword you can move the offshoot and replant them anywhere all in all looking good, can't wait to see it fill out

Sent from my SCH-S968C using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have root tabs coming out of my ears lol

New fish.

Quick update 07.28.2015

This past Sunday 07.26 I did a water change and decided to split up the dwarf chainsword that had been "chaining" into my Amazon swords. Little did I know that I had 6 separate offshoots to separate and replant.

Here's the obligatory full tank shot:ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1438142620.486480.jpg

That's it for now! Thank you ?

New fish.

Back
Top Bottom