halp stocking a 4-gallon tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

imomushi8

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm preparing a 4 gallon tank (specifically, the "Hagen Fluval View Aquarium, 4-Gallon").

I grew up with a 50 gallon tank at home, and I'd really like to have some fish of my own, so here I am starting out on a small tank. I've got my heart set on a male betta, but I haven't brought one home yet - still trying to plan some stuff out.

I've been doing a lot of reading trying to figure out the best tankmate(s) for a male betta, but I'm having a real hard time making sense of the tank size requirements. For example, I've read some folks suggesting an apple snail for small tanks, others saying apple snails are a big no-no for small tanks. Apple snails look so cute but I don't want him/her to get abused by the betta if they're feeling cramped...?

Before I ramble on too much, here are some specific questions if anyone is willing to indulge me:
1. Is there any type of catfish that can thrive in a 4-gallon tank? (I'm quite fond of catfish...) I read somewhere pygmy catfish would be okay, but then elsewhere saw a 30-gallon minimum requirement..??
2. Can an amano shrimp or an apple snail thrive in a 4-gallon tank?
3. Is it silly to get an algae eater for such a small tank, and with no live plants yet?
4. Do you think snails are "boring" tankmates for a betta?
5. Do you have any suggestions for stocking my 4-gallon tank?

in a four gallon its basically a betta on its own, a snail would be fine IMO. add plants if you want to make it looks more interesting.

1. Is there any type of catfish that can thrive in a 4-gallon tank? (I'm quite fond of catfish...) I read somewhere pygmy catfish would be okay, but then elsewhere saw a 30-gallon minimum requirement..??

2. Can an amano shrimp or an apple snail thrive in a 4-gallon tank?

3. Is it silly to get an algae eater for such a small tank, and with no live plants yet?

4. Do you think snails are "boring" tankmates for a betta?

5. Do you have any suggestions for stocking my 4-gallon tank?

1. In a standard 4 gallon footprint, no. Even for dwarf or pygmy cories ideally you'd still want a tank 20 inches long or so.
2. An Amano shrimp could although depending on your bettas personality it could become a snack too. Instead of an apple snail I'd probably recommend a nerite snail or two.
3. A little, but it's never silly to ask! Algae should be an controlled by limiting factors such as light , fertilizers, etc, not by livestock. With that said though a nerite snail and/or possibly some shrimp could help with any initial algae (such as diatoms).
4. Snails are awesome! They add movement and help to clean up leftovers, algae, and decaying matter. All of my tanks have at least some snails.
5. Only shrimp and some snails would possibly work in that size tank with a betta, and that depends on your betta too. You could try a few ghost shrimp or red cherry shrimp, just make sure they have PLENTY of cover (live plants and mosses help tremendously -- let us know if you need any suggestions!) and try not to get too attached in case they get eaten. Also make sure you have a prefilter sponge over your filter intake so the shrimp don't get sucked up.

Good luck!! :)

Last edited:
Apple snail all the way!! They are wonderful and fun to watch. I had one "chase" my new betta around the tank.

There are a few precautions you should be aware of
- Apple snails can kill a betta if your betta bites one of the snails attenia and is pulled between the shell and shell door. However, I have never had this happen to me.
- Apple snails suck at eating algae... they will always go for the easy food. I actually had one that would crawl to the top to be feed gold fish flakes by hand.
- Apple snails need some calcium in the water. I suggest cuttle bone.
- make sure to get a smaller apple snail, they can grow very large however that really depends on a lot of factors... Smaller you get longer the life.

You asked if snails make "boring" tank mates for a betta... and yes they are very boring to a betta (after they get used to them), which is good! If a betta finds a tank member interesting he will pick on them till they die.

Final word of wisdom. If you happen to have a betta that will not leave your apple snail alone separate them so that the betta can see, "smell" and hear the snail but not physically attack him. After a while your betta will get bored because the snail won't react and there will be no pay off (ie little pieces of snail to eat).

Sent from my SGH-I317M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

thanks all for your advice! i ended up going with two small apple snails. (i named them george and lennie) i'll introduce the betta once i make sure the snails are settled in okay ^_^ and when the apple snails get a bit bigger i'll use that as an excuse to move up to a bigger tank :3

Back
Top Bottom