Hand lotion = bad?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

howmanyds

Aquarium Advice Freak
How long after rubbing my Aveeno hand lotion in should I wait before sticking my arm in the tank?

Here are the ingredients. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1395849095.199633.jpg

I never stick my hands in my tanks with lotion on. I wash my hands and arms with Dawn and rinse thoroughly first. Once I'm done in my tanks I'll apply lotion.

I never stick my hands in my tanks with lotion on. I wash my hands and arms with Dawn and rinse thoroughly first. Once I'm done in my tanks I'll apply lotion.
+1 I basically look like a surgeon scrubbing in before a procedure..

Ditto the above posters. If you don't want to scrub the lotion off, there are gloves intended for aquarium use that go past the elbow. Otherwise, don't risk it, scrub it all off first.

I have very dry skin, and I also have a fishroom so I spend probably a lot more time than most with my hands in the water. I had just been skipping the lotion but this winter was really rough on my skin so eventually that was no longer an option. I started using organic coconut oil in place of lotion and, although I do wait until it soaks in to put my hands in the tanks, I no longer feel the need to "scrub up" beforehand. The only ingredient is organic coconut oil so I figure that's about as fish-safe as it's going to get. Even with a primarily natural lotion like Burt's Bees, I could scrub with dish soap and still smell the fragrance on my hands... that can't be good.

A big tub of coconut oil costs about 10 bucks. Maybe it would be worth looking into, at least for the days that you know you are going to have your hands in your tank.

Thanks everyone.

I have a big tub of coconut oil from Costco. Use it for everything.

Back
Top Bottom