handling fish is ok?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vicshaw

Aquarium Advice Activist
I was on a catfish website and was shocked to find that on some of the photos they took of the catfish, the fish were out of the water on someones hand!
I thought that this was extrememly cruel, but is it? I know that plecs can survive without water but not for long! What is this all about then holding tthe catfish on their hand?!

Fish can survive out of water for a few minutes with no real problems, depending on species, some much longer. Much longer than a human could survive underwater without breathing. As long as they take them out, get a pic, and put them right back, I see no real problem. Probably not the nicest experience for a fish, but not cruel as far as I'm concerned.

But when fish are being touched their scales may lose the slimy surface and they are more liable to in fection is this not correct?

Vicshaw said:
But when fish are being touched their scales may lose the slimy surface and they are more liable to in fection is this not correct?

Yes to some degree this is true, Although a healthy specim should be able to replentish its slime coat relitivly quickly.

ok

Yes to some degree this is true, Although a healthy specim should be able to replentish its slime coat relitivly quickly.[/quote]
ok!

I heard that certian types of catfish can survive for up to 2 hours out of water, I wouldn't try it though.

I heard that certian types of catfish can survive for up to 2 hours out of water, I wouldn't try it though.

Yes, I think even longer for some. There is a type of Asian catfish introduced in to Florida that can walk on its pectoral fins from pond to pond! true story.

Yep. Then you have the "frankenfish" scare of 2002 in Maryland aswell with the walking catfish.

its okay to take fish out of water and handle them as long as they arent out too long and you dont do it too often (only when you REALLY have to). it causes a lot of stress on the fish, but any healthy fish can handle it.
I had one tetra who i had to take out of the water for a while to remove an unidentifiable worm that had dug itself into the eye. He did fine through all the "trauma" and is still alive (and still has his eye).

Yea

i heard that goldfish can survive up to about 15 minutes+ without major problems.

Back
Top Bottom