Hard tubes

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Justin0329

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have noticed and have been wondering about a few small tube looking things growing on my LR. I don't anticipate them being harmful so I haven't asked about them in the past. Not to mention that I don't have a quality camera for pictures so I've chosen to describe as well as possible. Anyways, to the point, they are about the diameter of a wooden toothpick and only about 1/4 to 1/2 in long. They are hard to the touch. And from time to time I notice a spider web like string coming out of it and waiving in the water. I'm sure this has been identified may times but I didn't know exactly how to do a search on this without a name. Any ideas?

Maybe some kind of Feather Duster? I would look them up and see if they match what you are talking about. :)

No, I don't think they are feather dusters. I have seen them in others tanks as well. Even the LFS. They seem to only grow on hard objects. At the LFS they had a piece if PVC standing in the center of their open top display coral tank and that PVC was covered in them. 30 or more on a 2ft pipe. The kid there didn't know what it was and the tech wasn't in. The spider web like strings that come out of them often are like 6 inches long or more. I know this is a lot of mumbo jumbo but curiosity is getting the best of me.

dogfish2806 said:
Spionid worms? Do you happen to.have a photo

I've been trying to get a good pic but my camera isn't of good enough quality. They turn out blurry when I get close enough to see it and then too far away to see it when its clear. Even with micro on. Sorry, I've put all my "new camera fund" into my tank. Lol

And from the looks of it from the pics of spionid worms on Google, I would have to say no. The "tubes" are also very hard. That's actually how I found them. I was moving a rock and one was so sharp it nearly pricked my finger. It didn't break or bend at all.

They are a type of tube worm. The strings you see are what it puts out to eat. It puts out the web, food particles collect on the web, then it pulls it back in to eat it.
They are pretty common, I've got prob a dozen or so in my tank. They are harmless.

I do have a few of those in my tank. I was aware of those and I am really thinking that they are baby feather dusters. However, now that I look mote closely, it appears they start off like little shells. And if that's the case, I have several (hundreds) on the back glass as well as several pieces of base rock. Ill try to post a pic of those since its a little easier.

ForumRunner_20120519_231118.jpg

ForumRunner_20120519_231132.jpg

However, I didn't think feather dusters spread by eggs so I doubt that's what I'm seeing. They have been on the back glass for about 2 months and I haven't really noticed much change other than that they are multiplying.

I should tell you a little more about my setup and stock. I have a 55 with a 35 gallon refugium. I do run a protein Skimmer in the sump/refugium. My ammonia/nitrates/nitrites are at ∅ and have been for over 6 months. I also utilize an algae scrubber. As far as stock list, I have 1 lunar wrasse, 1 spotted grouper, 1 one spot foxface, 1 niger trigger, and an evil blue damsel (hope he gets eaten since I have given up on catching him). (I understand almost all of my stock will outgrow my setup. That's being taken care of and the details will be posted in a later thread). I also have 4 large hermit crabs, a Hawaiian feather duster, and 10 nassarius (sp?) Snails. Surprisingly all the inverts aren't harmed. And I seem to have a massive bristle worm outbreak but all are tiny at this point. Another issue I may have to work with soon.

From the pics, I would say that most are baby dusters. The rest could be tiny snails, tiny pineapple sponges or calcium deposits

Alright, thank you for your input. I would have to say they are either tiny snails or snail eggs. Possibly little feather dusters. Guess only time will tell. We'll see what happens...

They are called Vermetid Snails. That spider web like string is actually their feeding lines. They are filter feeders who shoot out that string to catch tiny bits floating in the water. They are generally considered a good hitchhiker but can irritate nearby corals like zoa's or other polyps.

You can remove them manually with a small pair if pliers or you can try a yellow cirrus wrasse, tho your particular specimen may not eat them. It's hit or miss.

What you are showing in the pics, on the glass are called Spiorbs... They are also harmless and a good indication that you'r tank is healthy

PacinoJR81 said:
They are called Vermetid Snails. That spider web like string is actually their feeding lines. They are filter feeders who shoot out that string to catch tiny bits floating in the water. They are generally considered a good hitchhiker but can irritate nearby corals like zoa's or other polyps.

You can remove them manually with a small pair if pliers or you can try a yellow cirrus wrasse, tho your particular specimen may not eat them. It's hit or miss.

What you are showing in the pics, on the glass are called Spiorbs... They are also harmless and a good indication that you'r tank is healthy

Thank you so much! This is the best explanation yet. I don't know if I am bothered by any of them yet, so for now I'll leave them alone.

Back
Top Bottom