Hard White Dots on back of tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Berzer

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
All 3 of my tanks have these little white hard rocky type things stuck to the back of the tanks and some on the sides. They look circular in their shape sort of like a shell but they are really stuck on hard and i can only get them off with a razor blade. any idea what these are?

I think they might be tube worms, if you look at them closely you might be able to the the fan tips that they use to filter feed.

They can possibly be snail eggs aswell, but that depends on the types of snail you have in a tank, I have lots of them on certain pieces of my LR, and I see a ton of little "baby" snails at night time.

i had thought snail eggs cuz i did have one baby snail in there. Only snail i ever had was a mexican turbo snail. I've had them in all of my tanks so far. These look though like little spiral shaped pure white dots that are in clusters at times. They sorta look like the @ symbol in a way. Nothing ever comes out of them, and they never move. Just happen to be there. common sense makes me think its probably what you guys say but i just didnt know if maybe i had some weird calcareous thing growing or just improper water quality going on feeding the things sort of like a cyano type thing. One tank in particular which has just developed them has like clear tube thingies on its sides so i'm guessing tube worms filtering. Learn something new every day in this hobby!

They are spirobid worms. If you look closely with a magnifying lens they look like tiny feather dusters. I had tons of them during the first few months though most have disappeared now.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom