Hardy AE for a 10 Gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

logansmomma1228

Aquarium Advice Addict
It doesn't look like the otos are going to work out very well. I waited a day because I didn't want to drive all the way to Saginaw- and waste my gas- to take back one dead fish if I was going to come home to another dead fish. Well guess what happened. I am saying screw it this time, it costs way more for me to keep driving back and trading them out. So if they all die I am going to try a different algae eater. Mommytron has the pitbull pleco and I was wondering if they would be OK in a 10 gallon.

The other thing that sucks is I am not sure if Alejandro will get along with any other fish besides otos.

I am so pissed right now

My favorite snail died too

Hmm, that seems odd that the snail died. Have you done a full water test lately?

I bet you could farm malaysian trumpet snails for food for both the puffer and for algae eating purposes.

Well Alejandro had gotten ahold of that snail previously before I put him in the tank, but I did do water check and change right before I got my otos. All levels were good (0,0, 5) and I put a heater in there to keep the temp up. however my pH is 8.2 and that is pretty high so I am wondering if it is bothering them. I tried to drip acclimate the new one but I couldn't get the siphon going on the hose and I kept getting nasty snail water and PFS in my mouth so I said screw it and he is floating lol. I will just take more care with this one ... if they all die I am going to look into something else until I have more experience with acclimating fish

Instead of sucking you should just stick the airline hosing under the faucet and let it fill up that way. Hmm, don't think it's the pH, mine are doing OK in 8.0 almost malawi-like water. Darn houston and it's shoddy lime encrusted piping.

Well I tried to stick it under the filter water but that didn't work lol. I am just so frustrated right now, I have not had any problems until this and I had a really crappy day so that was the icing on the cake. :/

sorry you're having such a hard time :( I think a pitbull pleco would do very well. they are wicked similar to otos, and only get to be about 2 maybe 3 inches. I've read that they prefer to be in groups, but we only have the one and he is doing great. he's quite active and rarely hides. he even hangs upside down on the leaves of the anubias :D and lounges on top of them :) I bet you could even get away with a pair with just Alejandro in there. I definitely recommend a pitbull pleco, you won't regret it :)

Back
Top Bottom