Has anyone got a axolotl ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

naomijaywebb

Aquarium Advice Regular
If so could people give me some information about them especially about feeding I want to no as much as possible in what they can eat ? Thank you :)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I'm fairly new but have done a heap of research don't know heaps but ask anything you'd like I'll try help
I have just had about 50 eggs hatch too

I love ours. They eat Minos and sinking pellets they are amazing and so cool to watch we call ours the monsters lol. Ask me anything :)

I rescued one from my mum the pet shop owner said she could have one with a gold fish but sadly she weren't as the the gold fish has nipped of the gills :( so I've took him and trying to make him better I was giving him blood worms but found that they made the tank messy so went to another pet shop and asked what else I could give him and he said live shrimp ( made me cringe and left my partner to feed him them lol ) but finally his gill are growing back ( can see the the pink fluffy bit growing back ) I absolutely adore him and decided to name him Keith after ' Keith lemon' ( comedian ) lool as the one I have is like a golden yellow :)

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

The pet store must of said that just so they'd get a sale
It's one of the first no no's with axolotls having fish with them

The pet store must of said that just so they'd get a sale
It's one of the first no no's with axolotls having fish with them

Yeah I no that now and can now actually see the fluffy bits growing back :) so I'm very happy

Can you keep many axolotls together or do they fight each other?

Will axolotls kill all fish? Can you mix them with large fish like 5 inch adult angelfish?

Can axolotls stay healthy on prepared foods like pellets or do they absolutely require live foods on a regular basis?

What size live feeder fish is too big for an axolotl to kill?

Since they have gills, are they sensitive to ammonia and nitrite just like fish?

Are they really native to Louisiana like the intro video of the TV series True Blood?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I found the answers to my own questions:

Can you keep many axolotls together or do they fight each other?
They will kill each other especially when younger (under 6 inches). Each axolotl needs its own 10 gallon tank unless they are adults (over 6 inches) in which case you can have 1 axolotl every 1.5 square feet of ground.

Will axolotls kill all fish? Can you mix them with large fish like 5 inch adult angelfish?
Never mix any fish with any axolotl.

Can axolotls stay healthy on prepared foods like pellets or do they absolutely require live foods on a regular basis?

Soft pellets can be fed regularly.

What size live feeder fish is too big for an axolotl to kill?

It can kill anything that fits in its large mouth.

Since they have gills, are they sensitive to ammonia and nitrite just like fish?

Yes they are. Also, pH 6.5 to 7.5 is ideal. Most importantly, they need a cold water temperature between 50 to 70 degrees F. Keeping them at 74 degrees F will make them sick and eventually kill them. Keeping them at widely fluctuating temperatures will also kill them.

Are they really native to Louisiana like the intro video of the TV series True Blood?

They are native to Mexico and are listed under the endangered species act. The are banned in California and New Jersey for this reason. They are not banned in many other states because they are abundantly bred in research laboratories to study their incredible ability to fully regenerate lost limbs.

Just a tip I found its best to feed frozen bloodworms as they have a good amount of nutrition instead of minnows yes they are messy but hey, you dont want to clean up their food then makes me think you don't want them anymore honestly try to take axolotls as fish with filters and etc.

Hello! I work in the aquatics department of a pet store that I've been employed at for a bit over a year now. I also have two young Axxie's that I got in late June. Right now they are perfectly fine in their 15 gallon tank, but I'm planning on moving them to a 30 or 40 long so they can grow and be happier.

All the axolotls we sell in our store live with other fish, be it goldfish, plecos, or angel fish. Usually we've had no problem housing Axolotl's with bigger fish (fish they can't fit in their mouth) but you have to watch carefully and make sure none of the fish mistake the Axolotl's gills for food.

I feed my two (Aristotle and Toothless) frozen bloodworms, but every once in a while I throw in some ghost shrimp as well.

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about these cuties!

Hello! I work in the aquatics department of a pet store that I've been employed at for a bit over a year now. I also have two young Axxie's that I got in late June. Right now they are perfectly fine in their 15 gallon tank, but I'm planning on moving them to a 30 or 40 long so they can grow and be happier.

All the axolotls we sell in our store live with other fish, be it goldfish, plecos, or angel fish. Usually we've had no problem housing Axolotl's with bigger fish (fish they can't fit in their mouth) but you have to watch carefully and make sure none of the fish mistake the Axolotl's gills for food.

I feed my two (Aristotle and Toothless) frozen bloodworms, but every once in a while I throw in some ghost shrimp as well.

Feel free to ask me any questions you have about these cuties!

That's a great diet good thing you're upgrading aswell also these dang axolotls are so messy when they eat>_< I would suggest not keeping ANY tropical fish like the plec and angelfish because remember axolotls prefer cooler water and usually when the temp gets over I think it was 78 or a bit less, they're stressed and die

That's a great diet good thing you're upgrading aswell also these dang axolotls are so messy when they eat>_< I would suggest not keeping ANY tropical fish like the plec and angelfish because remember axolotls prefer cooler water and usually when the temp gets over I think it was 78 or a bit less, they're stressed and die

I agree, always keep the Axxie's in cold water. I've found that some freshwater fish (Such as pleco's) live perfectly fine in cooler temperatures. Whereas other fish prefer high 70s for their water.

Yea my babies are pretty messy when eating, but they clean up after themselves so it's alright.

I've got 3 :) 2 babies, a gold albino and white albino, and an adult female wild type. Such cool creatures!

Sent from my SM-G900I using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Can anybody who has one tell me about their tank setup? Can you add Prime to the water and then add them? My daughter really wants one.

Is prime to remove chlorine & chloromine? If it is then yes (its called "ager" here :) you have to have them in dechlorinated water cause it damages their skin, gills etc the tank will also need to be cycled because ammonia does the same. they need a filter with a low outflow, or plants/ decorations placed in front of the out flow to reduce it, too much current/movement in the water stresses them which causes bigger problems. They don't like light and need caves and hides to hide away in. They also need to be on bare bottom or sand as they can gulp up anything up to the size of their heads and become impacted, sand is easier for them to pass if swallowed?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom