Has anyone used just volcanic rock instead of eco complete?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ruth Ann

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I know that eco complete has the beneficial bacteria, but I really can't figure out what is different about it. I have Here's a link I've found to purchase volcanic rock substrate.
http://www.substratesource.com/?p=item&c=s&i=71

I have eco complete in my 20 gallon, but I'll need at least 2 bags of it for my 55 gallon. Has anyone used just lava/volcanic gravel instead with success?

Looks like the same stuff. To my understanding, eco complete and floramax are volcanic rock too.

I read somewhere that some people use Safe-T-Sorb as a substrate for dirt cheap. But I also read that it requires alot of rinsing. There's a mod on here, Jetajocky, that uses it.

Another option is to do a dirted tank. You can use organic miracle gro as the first layer and use the lava rock or eco as a cap to contain the dirt. That should save money while making an otherwise inert substrate into something more fertile for plants. Rivercats would be great to chime in on that process or PM her, if this interests you.

Interesting, maybe I'll try this sometime on my dwarf puffer tank if I ever tear it down and rescape it. Try and crush it down real fine into a sand almost and get a nice red substrate, add some red clay too.

Back
Top Bottom