have a serious issue with Pleco's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kevccoy

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have 1 tank setup right now for my breeding Bristlenose plecos, have had 2 males in there for about 2 weeks now,and now tomorrow my females are coming, and justgot home from work and found 1 of the males with this(see pic). is it fin rot,if so i have no clue what could have caused it. it just showed up. out of the blue. what can I do to correct it, I have no where else to put the albino females that are coming tomorrow, how can I make this tank safe for tomorrow delivery?

img_1215377_0_c98aad51ebdf97032ed62479d46ac836.jpg

If it is fin rot you can put the females in there and then treat the whole tank. Melafix + Pimafix.

afre doing a 50% water change looks as the he is getting the color back, I had just added a cave to the tank, and wonder if maybe there wasn't some sort of toxin on the cave, i did heat it in oven for an hour and presoak in boiling water, but that is all i can think of, but the other male in the tank was almost as though unphased, so I don't know, but I think he is gonna be fine, thank god, he is my beast daddy, biggest Bistlenose I have seen at 6", son is on the way back from store to get some epsom salt, gonna add about 1 tsp for each 10 gallon and see if that helps also. or should i use reg. salt, no access to aquarium salt right now

If you're talking about the tail discoloration...it's not fin rot. Pleco's sometimes will have discoloration patches on their bodies...the reason is unknown...these patches are random and only last a day or two. My 8yr old pleco gets slight discoloration after water changes. It usually lasts any where from 6 to 12 hours.

Yey this thread helped me calm down about my discolored pleco. I was freaking out, I though he was dying. Good to know it's common after water changes I just did a 50% PWC yesterday and noticed it just a minute ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium

bad fin rot

i treated with maracyn for the suggested time, did water changes, the other fish in the tank seam ok, is this gonna get better, is he suffering, should i take him out and end his suffering?

before treatment when first noticed
img_1219525_0_c98aad51ebdf97032ed62479d46ac836.jpg

this is today after the full treatment of maracyn
img_1219525_1_286d7d76d60456c35a17be4ce2185f6a.jpg

He needs plenty of clean water, which is the best cure for finrot.

Do at least 25 percent a day, and make sure he gets a proper diet, including fresh veggies like cucumber.

we have been doing daily water changes along with the maracyn, and it is still getting worse, is there another product that would help, or is he a gonner, like I said no other fish in the tank have this problem, there are 3 other bristlenose pleco's in there.

we have been doing daily water changes along with the maracyn, and it is still getting worse, is there another product that would help, or is he a gonner, like I said no other fish in the tank have this problem, there are 3 other bristlenose pleco's in there.
In my opinion...
If it is fin rot you can put the females in there and then treat the whole tank. Melafix + Pimafix.
However this treats the condition, not the cause. Bad water quality usually being the cause.

water condition is fine, we do weekley water changes on all tanks, and keep a check on all parameters, ad never an issue. any other causes?

From the last picture it looks like the tail has rotted evenly, which can be a sign of fungal infection. Are you treating it in the main tank? I would put it in a QT. I've had a fin/tail rot problem with my Silver dollars. I did more frequent water changes in the main tank with anti-biotic treatment. Didn't help one bit. I then put the Silver Dollars in my 10 gal QT and treated them in this QT for 2 weeks and they recovered.

Do you have a QT of some sort?

Back
Top Bottom