Have I killed my bacteria?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mark Hewitt

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I was doing a water change at the weekend, and, stupidly, I forgot to put the dechlorinator into the water before I started putting it into the tank.

I was about half way though putting the new water in when I realised my mistake and put the treatment into both the tank and the water waiting to be added.

But during that time some of the water will have gotten passed through the filter.

It was only a matter of about 2-3 minutes before I treated the tank, but would that be enough to kill of my bacterial colony and put the tank into a new cycle?

I fear so because since the weekend my ammonia has started to rise and the guppies are looking very sorry for themselves :(

i doubt it. i use a python to do water changes and sometimes forget to add prime until ive filled the tank halfway back up, and when i do a pwc, i take out 75g... id say as long as you put some dechlor in there pretty quick, you'll be fine

you should be fine i've been using a python setup for over 27 yr. , and i have always added dechlor as it is filling, and as far as i know none of the declhor products out their effect your live bacteria

fishman

I suppose it's possible to have killed enough bacteria to start a mini cycle, but I don't think you've made a serious dent in the population. Keep an eye on your water parameters, but I wouldn't expect anything major.

Back
Top Bottom