Have I messed up my cycle?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cyberil

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Have I messed up my cycle?

Hi, I could do with some help please...

March 24 - I set up my new tank a Fluval Profile 1200 - 85 gallon with a Fluval FX5 filter. I used a culture to get the cycling started.

April 1 - I was advised by my LFS to acquire 3 young African Cichlids. NH4 0.2, PH 8, NO2 0.6, NO3 20

April 5 - NH4 0.2, PH 8, NO2 0.6, NO3 40

April 7 onwards - The appearance of algae, fish not eating, fish motionless but not dead. NH4 0.1, PH 8, NO2 0.6, NO3 10

April 10 - NH4 0.1, PH 8, NO2 0.6, NO3 20

April 13 - 2 of the 3 fish were removed as I'm sure they would die and get lodged under the rocks and cause ammonia problems. LFS advised me to do a 25% water change which i did. 2nd LFS advised me to add more biological media and start up which I did. They also advised me to add 3 sachets of Fluval Clearmax which traps phosphate, nitrite and nitrate.

April 14 (today, 3 weeks later) - After about 10 hours I removed the Fluval Clearmax as I was afraid that using this chemical may disrupt the nitrogen cycle, although LFS 2 advised me to keep it in the filter permanently. NH4 0.05, PH 8, NO2 0.1, NO3 5.

Have I messed up my cycle by using Fluval Clearmax?

Will I have to start all over again or is there nothing to worry about? My next step is to add about 10-15 cichlids but how will I ever know if the tank has cycled properly until there is a huge spike in Amonia or Nitrites. Should I return the remaining fish and start a fishless cycle with ammonia?

Can anyone help as this is my first aquarium and although I've read some books on the matter Im still unsure....

Paul

Welcome to AA!

What do you mean you used a culture to get started?

Are you sure your test kit is reading properly? It looks like you're nearly done, if not completely done with your cycle. Do a large PWC, add a couple fish, and watch your parameters closely. It took me six weeks of fishless cycling for my tank to be completely cycled.

I don't think the Clearmax ruined your cycle, but I wouldn't use it. I don't like using chemicals other than dechlorinator and medication in my aquariums. Your tank should convert all the ammonia to nitrate, which you control with partial water changes (PWCs), not chemicals. The LFS is just trying to move product.

Back
Top Bottom