Haven't got a clue on how to improve my aquarium.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hazzabee

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 125litter tank ( 23gallons I think) I have a pleco, 3 tetras and 5 guppies, is there anything else I could add to spice it up? Is it possible to add plants while it's all ready established with fish?

Sent from my C6603 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

You can add plants at any time. What kind of pleco and tetras do you have? The tetras would surely prefer more buddies -- they do best in large groups.

Yes the tetras would look awesome with about 7 more of them
I have all those fish.If I was you I would add an angel fish( mine are compatible with angelfish)
And 1 tiger loach(clown loach)
PS.the right decorations can I'm prove your tank alot

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

I did have a angel fish but it keeped on nipping at the other so I re homed it.I'll take a picture of it

You can add plants at any time. What kind of pleco and tetras do you have? The tetras would surely prefer more buddies -- they do best in large groups.

I have no idea am still a newbie

Do you have a picture of them or have you tried searching for their type online? Also, is the tank cycled?

Here are some of the fish and the tank

Attachments

• 1407667365400.jpg
    1407667365400.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 87
  • 1407667397165.jpg
    1407667397165.jpg
    54.7 KB · Views: 86
  • 1407667426099.jpg
    1407667426099.jpg
    40.1 KB · Views: 83
  • 1407667461395.jpg
    1407667461395.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 79
As u can see I also have what looks like a black algae problem what's the solution?

Attachments

• 1407667618180.jpg
    1407667618180.jpg
    26.7 KB · Views: 80
  • 1407667678262.jpg
    1407667678262.jpg
    66.5 KB · Views: 82
The algae looks like black brush algae (BBA) which is typically a result of running your lights too long. How long do you run your lights and does your tank get much natural sunlight? You can get it off by soaking your plastic plants in some bleach or h2o2, just make sure to rinse them very well after you're done.

That pleco unfortunately is not suited for your size tank, and in the long run it'd be best if you could rehome him. Your tetras would love more friends and if you can rehome your pleco a nice shoal of corydoras would fit in well.

I run the lights around 10 hours a day, and yes it does its right next to a big window, it was given to me as a friends heater when, but it has grown larger in my tank (they had a smaller tank) I think it's around 4years old, I am sure I'll be able to rehome it, I know plenty of people with tanks, I don't mean to sound silly but how many is a shoal? Newbie here

The algae looks like black brush algae (BBA) which is typically a result of running your lights too long. How long do you run your lights and does your tank get much natural sunlight? You can get it off by soaking your plastic plants in some bleach or h2o2, just make sure to rinse them very well after you're done.

That pleco unfortunately is not suited for your size tank, and in the long run it'd be best if you could rehome him. Your tetras would love more friends and if you can rehome your pleco a nice shoal of corydoras would fit in well.

With the algae how much bleach and hot or cold water.

Your fish are colorful but not big enough I suggest adding some bigger fish

Your fish are colorful but not big enough I suggest adding some bigger fish

Such as and how many, I could 11 1inch fish in my tank and the pleco

it won't be for a few weeks, I encountered a couple of problems earlier that I probably wouldn't of noticed if it wasn't for the other fellow.

Ok here is exactly what I would do
It helps in my opinion to have the tank look as natural as possible
Therefor only sea shaped rocks and coral and plants maybe driftwood should be placed in a natural way in the tank
And fish I prefer the fish to stand out above the decoration
So some different variety of small and big colorful fish I would add

Angelfish(2)
Clown loaches(1)
The Plecoptera you already have(1)
Neon tetras the best in my opinion 7-10
Giant or banded gourami(1)

All go along with each other and perfect for an exiting fish tank

Pic1:giant or bannded gourami
Pic2: neon tetra
Pic3:angelfish