Healthy krib?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lnmmenthol

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello I have this kribensis that has a much larger belly than the other 2. It doesn't seem to be a problem but figured I'd check here for some input. It is a female I believe but they are only 3/4"-1" long so I think they are too young for that. Could be over feeding too I guess but it's the only one with it so maybe not. I don't really think it's sick as it seems perfectly fine , just looking for some more experienced eyes. Any suggestions appreciated

Thanks
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396198237.356401.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396198256.212865.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396198273.744397.jpg

She looks fine to me.. My female also has a rounded belly :) is she the only female ?

I don't think so, they are very small there are 3 and one of them ( not her) has color all the way to the back of the dorsal fin the other 2 don't. I read that was an effective way to sex them while they are small like this. The other one I believe is a female is not like that but I'm sure every fish is diff jus like us so it's prob normal. Id like to hear more input from others before I disregard it as just a body type. Thank you

I was asking because I find she doesn't have much colour, even for her size. When I did my research before stocking my kribensis, I found out it was better to keep them in a single pair (male-female) as these fish show aggression to the same gender, the easiest pair, if you want 3, would be 2 males 1 female as the males would work out a hierarchy but the females would just never stop and kill each other. But for the body (others could step in to confirm) looks like every other krib I have ever seems :)

See these are my male and female, they were missing a bit of colour as it was their first day in, but you can see the body type :) ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1396200608.850311.jpg

About what size are those? They do have some color but it was hard to get a good shot with the fins up as most of the color is on the top of the fin. The only reason I got 3 because it was a cheaper to buy 3 than just 2 an since they were so small and I wasn't sure how to sex them I figured if I got 3 I'd have a better chance at getting a male and female. It seems like everything is ok then hopefully the get more color with age since they don't seem so colorful idk what to expect as I've only seen pictures and never personally owned them. Thank you

About what size are those? They do have some color but it was hard to get a good shot with the fins up as most of the color is on the top of the fin. The only reason I got 3 because it was a cheaper to buy 3 than just 2 an since they were so small and I wasn't sure how to sex them I figured if I got 3 I'd have a better chance at getting a male and female. It seems like everything is ok then hopefully the get more color with age since they don't seem so colorful idk what to expect as I've only seen pictures and never personally owned them. Thank you

So as you can see on my picture, a lot of differences but mainly the bright pink and rounded belly can help identify the female, the male has also a bit of pink on the belly ( a lot less) but it also has blue on his body and upper fin. They were about an inch on that picture. I hate when pet shops do that.. If you end up with 2 females and 1 male and there is aggression, maybe take out a female. If you can take a close up picture of all 3 maybe I could help you, on the pictures you showed me it seemed to be male and female :)
(Also stress doesn't help colour)

I will try and get a better picture, they are very photogenic, but they move so much it's hard to get a clear one. They are like lil water dogs though always come to the glass when I come around. There shouldnt be any stress on them I don't see any hostility between the 3 of them and I think my tank is pretty under stocked bc I haven't decided what to get next. It's a 56 gallon column ( 30x18x24 ) with
6x bronze corries
6x Odessa barbs
3x kribs
And one rainbow shark which isn't staying I just haven't gotten around to getting him out

You should be fine for now since you are far from being stocked :) especially since they are still juveniles... Make sure you have caves for them too! They really like that (and actually need) mine love a cluster of fake plants and a plastic hollow branch I have. Also, be carful because if a couple forms, and fry hatch, the mother and father become SUPER aggressive, like take them out of the tank or half the non aggressive fish will be dead..

Back
Top Bottom