Healthy Live Rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jaymz69

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Heres a few pictures of my 20g saltwater slowly going for a mini reef and a much much bigger tank but for now i have to follow my budget and start small...anyway is my live rock healthy and what is that seaweed looking like stuff growing off the rocks?

oh and if you see anything i might wanna change for the sake of the tank or if somethings the way it shouldnt be tell me.

thanks.

I Have One Feather Duster Worm
7 Blue Leg Hermit Crabs
1 Emrald Crab
And Two Other Crabs That Hitched A Ride On my Live Rock when i got it dont know what they are
tank is 37 days old

It's hard to tell from the photos. Does your camera have a macro mode where you can zoom in for a more detailed pic?

Those look like aptasia to me. Are they individual things that retract when touched? Hair algae has more of a matt look to it. Those things look long and flow-ie. If that stuff retracts when you touch it then you have a serios aptasia problem. I would take each rock out and scald it, wait a few weeks and take another. Hopefully you'll make it around the horn before they take over any more of your tank.

...and check your phosphate levels in the tank too.

Using tap water or RO/DI? No fish? How often are you feeding? These concerns have a lot to do with hair algae I believe.

Back
Top Bottom