Heater advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aqua_guy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have been getting rid of the ich in my aquarium for about a week now. i used TetraMed and unfortunately 4 of my fishes died. My fishes are all cichlids. Though my four electric blue died, there has been no apparent sign of the ich in the remaining 18-20 cichlids. i have conducted a complete water change nd has decided to try the temperature method of curing the ich in case there are some ich remaining but so far i haven't seen white spots in the remaining fishes. I am maintaining the tank temperature at 32oC. I am just wondering if the temperature is just enough? The heater can't get the temperature higher because of the cold weather now. I dont know if i have to add another heater. My tank is a 50 gallon tank. Can you give me an advice on what heater to use and how to maintain a steady temp despite the cold weather.

What wattage is the heater you have now?

and even if you don't have visible signs of ich there could still be freefloating parasites just waiting to infect, so its a good idea to do the heattreatment since it removes ich from your tank forever [ unless you introduce a new souce of it, say.. a new fish thats infected ]

You are good to do the heattreatment, and if the tank temp isn't staying constantly above 86oF/30-31oC then its not doing any good.

So throw another heater or two in there, I would go 300watt.

IMHO, The standard need for a 10gal tank is 50watt, but I always go 100watt because winters for example. So in other words, go as big as you can afford :)

Thanks. i will go and see what's the wattage of my heater. I think i will throw another heater in there.

another question, if say there is one infected, can i be cured there and the ich dies forever?

Back
Top Bottom