Heater driving me crazy!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RackinRocky

Aquarium Advice Addict
This is weird, but true. I have three tanks. A 10 gallon, 20 gallon and 55 gallon. I use Aqueon heaters and have absolutely no problem with the 10 gallon and 55 gallon. I set the heater, tweak it until it gets the water temp I want, and that's it. I don't need to fool with it again. But on the 20 gallon, for some reason, heaters don't work right.

I posted about it either on here or another board a couple of years ago, that the heater would get down to 73-74 at night, but at the same setting, it would go up to 80 by mid-afternoon! It gets 10 degrees colder in the house at night, but even so, the other tanks are not affected by it. Some people suggested I not risk it, and replace the heater, so I did. And guess what? Same exact problem with this one! I'm especially concerned because I have Hasbrosus cories in the 20 gallon, and they shouldn't go above 78. Also I don't like it fluctuating 6-7 degrees because I know it's not good for the fish.

The heater is, by the way, a 100 wt. Anyone else have this trouble?

well, try a 50w or 75w, preferably a different brand altogether. Also, make sure it's in the flow from the filter so it can heat evenly.

Ok, well it's nowhere near the flow from the filter, so I'll fix that immediately. I think I have a 50 wt. somewhere--I'll look. If it being in the filter flow doesn't work, I'll put in a 50 wt. Thank you!

Also consider environmental factors - is the tank near a heat vent, a window, a door, a draft, etc? It doesn't take much fluctuation in the environment around the tank to cause temp swings - while the heat capacity of water is greater than air, it still will change temperature very quickly.

No, fort. That is another puzzler. It's, in fact, almost right next to my 55 gallon (only a foot away) and no nearer the window, door or draft than the 55 is. Since I've placed the heater next to the outflow of my filter a few hours ago, it's stayed exactly at 75 degrees. I prefer it at 77, but I'm afraid if I barely touch the control, it'll go up to 80 again, as it always has in the past. But night is upon me, so I guess I'd better do that, or it'll be down to 71 or 72 by morning, no doubt.

Back
Top Bottom