Heater explosion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

foster53

Aquarium Advice Addict
I just finished with the WC in the diatom tank, refilled, turned everything back on and heard a noise that sounded like air being sucked into a filter. I unplugged all the filters, and could still hear it. Thought it was the PH for the co2, unplugged that and still heard it. Then the glass tube blew off the heater. Thankfully it blew downward, instead of exploding. This is the first time I have ever had a heater do this. The glass tube is just friction fit over a rubber barb type fitting. The noise was the heater boiling the water that got inside the heater. WOW!!

Attachments

• heater 001.jpg
    heater 001.jpg
    200.2 KB · Views: 70
  • heater 005.jpg
    heater 005.jpg
    252.4 KB · Views: 62
That's crazy!!! Was it old? Did you have the heater running while doing a wc? Lucky there were no electrocutions!

That's crazy!!! Was it old? Did you have the heater running while doing a wc? Lucky there were no electrocutions!
Yes it was pretty old, probably at least 10 yrs.
No, not on while doing the water change. I have all filters, and heaters on a electrical GFI strip. It's shut off during maintenance.

Yes it was pretty old, probably at least 10 yrs.
No, not on while doing the water change. I have all filters, and heaters on a electrical GFI strip. It's shut off during maintenance.

Well at least you weren't hurt and I'm presuming all your fish were ok.

Back
Top Bottom