Heater... Is this normal?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KonvictKeeper

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I went on a shopping trip today and picked up some things for the new 55g. one of which was a heater. It is an Aqueon Pro 250w. I went a few sizes up because it gets pretty cold in the fish "cave". When I got home, I went in the cave and the tank was about 66F. I took some water out and put warmer water in, bringing the temp up to around 74F. I figured that would make it easier on the heater. I put it in, set it in between 76 and 80F, and left. I came a few hours later and the tank was dead on at 78F. I looked at the heater and it was still running. I came back an hour later and it was still running, but the temp was still at 78F. What is with that?

Mine does that too, not sure why. I set my temp same way between 76-80 to get it like 78 it's spot on but sometimes the light is green and other times it's red.

You folks realize that the temperature may be dropping super slightly but the heater is on and working at maintaining it at 78f right?

The tank doesnt have to reach 77 or 76 for the fish tank heater to kick on, its not like a house furnace thermostat. Fish tank heaters (well good ones at least) dont let the temperature swing much, and thats good.

my aqueon 150 isn't dead-accurate as far as what the actual temp is and what the dial says...also, as was mentioned before, a tank heater is like a furnace in a home. Will turn on/off multiple times quickly (relatively speaking) to maintain the heat setting to avoid swings in temp.

Wait why was I supposed to wait?

It doesnt matter, a 5 degree temperature swing between what you have it set to and what its actually heating to means that heater is defective. Return it now before the thermostat completely malfunctions and you will wake up to a fish fry!!

I really don't think it's defective. When you look at the large number of people who report identical scenarios (including myself) where the heater has to be set lower, but it remains constant, it's just a simple calibration issue. Every heater I've owned has been this way, minus the titanium heater with an external controller. I almost guarantee that if you exchange it, you'll get the same results with a new one. There are some heaters that you can calibrate, as most all companies recognize that the internal thermostat is usually a few degrees off.

Back
Top Bottom